Old Photo - Help to identify the year / vintage?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Help to identify the year / vintage?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

Jay had posted an old photo from Clintonville, WI.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/648230.html?1465065522
Being my home town, I shared the photo with a former classmate, now with the Historical Society. Will someone help to identify the car in the forefront? Original thinking was 1910-13. Seeing brass headlights and radiator, the hood & front fenders, but then confused with what appears to be a cowl with cowl lights behind the fire wall. Anyone? Thanks.
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

That's a 1916 Touring as the headlight & sidelight rims appear to be painted black. A one year only feature combined with the brass radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Marv, It has electric lights, curved rear fenders and the cowl is '15 - '16 style.

Other details are impossible to make out, but this looks like a '15 or '16.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Marv. I agree that the style of cowl, hood former/firewall point to 1915 or 1916 ... as 1917 would be black radiator, and 1914 would be flat square corner style firewall. So that only leaves 15-16...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Thanks, Guys!
Marv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

If you are trying to date the photo itself:

If that is a Wisconsin license plate on the 1915 or 1916 Ford and presuming the photo was taken prior to 1920, then the photo would have been taken in 1916 or 1918 because the plate has a light background. I'm leaning toward 1916 as the date of the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

You're probably right, Erik. Then too, the 'apples in the street' are now the exception rather than the rule! (So I'm also suspecting the earlier date.) BTW - I believe Clintonville's FWD Corp. even had a car racing at the Indy 500 by 1932.
Marv

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration