**1919-1927 Starter Motor 5099 Assembly**

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: **1919-1927 Starter Motor 5099 Assembly**
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 06:32 pm:

As far as I know there are no differences between the years 1919 and 1927 when it comes to the Starter Motor Assembly 5099. There was briefly a 4920 starter motor assembly in 1919, then Ford renumbered everything and 4920 became 5099 thereafter.

Cant find reliable part numbers for some of the assembly other than the parts list just say "screw" but not what it goes to, so I omitted them. And some screws are the same as on the Generator Assembly and the part numbers are the same as well. There are also some different parts available, that don't look quite like the originals but have the same part number. I've included those too as well as the updated parts that replace originals that are still available from the vendors.

It's surprising at how many of the parts for this assembly you can't actually get, but I suppose that's because the originals don't wear out either. But still you'd think that some parts like the "brush holder" and the rivets that hold it to the "brush ring" or to the back of the can would be available, or are they and I just didn't find any part number for them? Don't know which, but if any of you guys know, please let me know and I'll add them to the drawing, thanks.

Next assembly is the Bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil C Bartlett, Shively CA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Martin, thanks for another quality drawing. Your time and effort are very much appreciated, my 14 is a little more correct thanks to your muffler drawings. Though it must take a lot of time and effort and probably a lot of frustration they do aid people like me on restorations.

Thanks, Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Neil, it's actually more fun than frustration, but I do end up pulling hair out sometime when I can't find any clear information about one thing or the other. Usually I come here and all you guys on this forum, things get cleared up with lots of pictures quickly.
And just so you know...I never would've been able to draw any of those muffler assemblies (or any of the other sets of assemblies) without all the input I got from everybody here, and I thank all of you very much for your help and support. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:17 am:

I have noticed on starters that I have disassembled, that the four screws holding the brushes appear to be copper coated, while the four screws holding on the cover are are not plated. I would have thought they would originally had different part numbers....
On the drawing I think the four pole pieces should be labeled 5136, right now the line from 5136 points to nothing?
Another great drawing, your talent is outstanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

In the Ford Parts Catalog of 1921 5136 is a pin, that I took to be the pin that holds the terminal post 5107TS in place. Now looking back through those pages again I find that 5136 is a retaining pin on the generator.

I'll go back and look for part numbers again for those screws and see if I can find that pin too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:20 pm:

Ok, after much searching (and some hair pulling :-)), I can't find a reference for any of the screws in the Ford Parts Catalog pages. There are pictures of them, but not listing for them to tell me which is for what assembly. Nor does it even mention the rivets that hold the assembly to the back cover, probably because you were never supposed to be able to buy it as a non-assembly or that the parts were so common they didn't think they worth mentioning (I've run into that a time or two too). Even though that 5136 is a pin used in the generator, seems it the same size as the retaining pin used in the starter too.

I think originally the brush holders were riveted to the plate, not screwed onto it, because that's the way it is on my starters brush plate (I took mine apart to look and see how it went together).
The screws I've got numbers for and no place to put them are: 5060, 5114, 5160 and 3266, which I think is the same screw that Lang says is 5114 in his catalog and on this drawing (which I'm going to change, because 5114 is a small screw).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration