What should be in the magazines?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What should be in the magazines?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:51 am:

In the thread about an aid for tire changing there were some comments to the effect that the club magazines should have more technical articles, and I think the subject deserves a separate heading.

In reply to those remarks Royce commented, "For technical tips to appear in the magazines someone has to write the article and provide photos. The editor of the magazines cannot do it all."

This was my comment:
The last time I looked (ten seconds ago) Dan Treace was still contributing "how to" articles to the Model T Times. I've sent pieces on how I did stuff to the Vintage Ford and seen them printed. Royce is exactly right. For items to be printed, somebody has to write them. Last year when there was a flurry of bitching about too many speedsters in the VF, I said the guys who wanted to see something else printed should get busy and write it. I'm still waiting.

You're not an "expert"? Well, I haven't asked Bob Coiro if he was an expert on Model T tires before he wrote his excellent piece about them for the VF, but I suspect not. My guess is that he put in some effort to do the necessary research and proceeded to give us the interesting and useful information.

So if you think there should be more of something in the magazines, get busy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:24 am:

I'm way ahead of this......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:38 am:

When was the tire article published?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:02 am:

What we don't need is reprinted articles in the Vintage Ford. I'm getting tired of reading that magazine, with all the speedster articles! Let's go back to the McCalley days. And, don't blame me for this comment. I've contributed a lot of articles over the years, and one of them in particular sat on Jays desk for over a year before it got published, and he lost two of the photos that I included. What would be cool is to start at 1909 again and go to 1927. There has been a lot of new information since then that could be included.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Is there really any harm in reprinting technical articles? Not everyone has 35 years of the Vintage Ford laying around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:58 am:

While totally supporting anyone who wants to do the research and documentation to produce a technical article for a magazine, I will never do so again.

Several years ago my son was given a WWII truck. It was in a dilapidated state, but my son carefully began the restoration, documenting and photographing his progress.

The truck turned out to be very much like the Rip Van Winkle Model T. The truck spent its whole life on a training base, and was never molested. The man who bought the truck as surplus used it for a while on his ranch in the 1950's, but eventually parked it until his heirs gave it to my 15 year old son.

Local collectors and one museum urged us to publish a series of articles for the national club magazine, which we did. While most readers appreciated his work many did not. The criticisms ranged from the authenticity of the vehicle to personal criticism of his methods.

The problem we discovered with print media is that once you publish something your information is out there cast in stone and must stand by it self.

On a forum, you have a chance to defend your point of view and add new discovery to support your position. Active discussion also often sheds light on facts unknown at the time of publication.

All I'm saying is that publishing a print article is not necessarily as rewarding or appreciated as one might think. This is possibly why so few dare to jump in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Technical articles never go out of style I don't think. You can tell by some of the questions that get repeatedly asked on the forum.
It depends on what the content is to make it interesting.

Its always hard to make everybody happy.
I do think we have to remember to keep the younger folks or people that are new to the Model T world in mind.
To these folks most T information is brand new. Even if it is something that was printed 20-40 years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:07 am:

I also submitted this a year ago never got published
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/645450.html?1464199279

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:36 am:

I submitted a technical article re restoration of a Perfecto 2 speed rear axle that languished for darn near a year with promises that it would be published in the next issue. I finally got disgusted and submitted it to the MTFCI where is was published within a month or so.
I think the problem lies with the editors who belief that fluffy stuff like chapter activities, tours etc takes priority over technical pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jennifer Hollandbeck on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

As the new editor of the Vintage Ford, I am reading your comments with great interest.

First of all, thank you to those who have acknowledged that it is impossible to make everyone happy, as well as to those who have said that someone needs to write and submit the articles - I can tell you that both those sentiments are very true!

For those of you saying you have submitted articles in the past, and they haven’t been published, please bear this in mind. I have inherited many articles submitted prior to me taking over, and I am still working to sort through them. If you submitted an article in the past and it has not been published, please consider resubmitting it directly to me or contacting me to see if I have it.

For those of you considering writing an article, please keep the following in mind. For an article to be published in a timely fashion there are a few things the author can do to help. It is important that any pictures are high enough quality (preferably digital files) to be printed and that the text be submitted as a Microsoft Word file, if at all possible. Also, please do not be dissuaded from submitting an article because of possible criticism – that will happen to anyone and everyone – the internet can be a brutal and impersonal place.

As far as technical articles, hopefully you have all read the announcement on page 5 of the May/June issue regarding our new Technical Editor, Mike Vaughn. Mike will be a great asset to me, the magazine, and the membership in helping with technical articles. As a matter of fact, he has already helped with two articles that will appear in the July/August issue, and there may be more. You may submit technical articles and/or technical questions directly to him at TechEditor@mtfca.com. In this way, hopefully you will see more of what you are asking for.

The magazine, the Club, and members exist in a mutualistic relationship – each needs the other to thrive. As editor, I encourage you to do what you can to help get the magazine to be a publication you look forward to, while realizing that not all members have exactly the same interests and that some members do appreciate the “fluff.”

Please keep the articles and possible cover photos coming. I cannot do it without you!

Sincerely,
Jennifer Hollandbeck
Jennifer@mtfca.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

I've submitted a few to the MTFCI and have had them published. The magazine needs more than just technical info in it. One that was published was concerning a small town Ford dealer in West TN. The family still operates a retail store out of that same building. I was lucky enough to interview the son of the man who started the dealership. He had wonderful stories as did his wife. They are both now gone. All that remains is the building and the story that was recorded.

Another non tech article I submitted was of a sno-bird that belonged to an Aunt who died before I was born. It was based on three photos I found and the comments written on the backs of them.

You may not agree, but I feel those types of articles are as important as the tech articles (of which I have submitted and had about 3 published).

Bottom line, well written and interesting stuff belong in the magazine no matter the content. If enough folks contributed, you could have different sections:
"From the Road" - tour articles
"From the Garage" - tech articles
"From the Attic" - old human interest stories concerning the Model T.
"From (use your imagination)"
and a special section for those who never submit anything, yet complain about things, "From the Cheap Seats".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 02:43 pm:

We need a Like button.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

I would like to second what Jennifer has stated. The Vintage Ford belongs to the MTFCA membership. It is your magazine and it should be a reflection of the club and it's interests.

This is an exciting time for our club as we begin a new era with the Vintage Ford. Looking forward there will be changes to the magazine just as Jay was different from Bruce, Jennifer will be different as well. Give her a chance and I believe that most of you will be very pleased with her resolve to continue making the Vintage Ford a first rate publication.

Contact us with your ideas and articles, we will make every effort to publish submissions. Don't be surprised if you get a message from me if you have posted something on the forum that I believe would make a good article. (Some of you have already been in contact with me.) As Jennifer has stated; "we encourage you to do what you can to help the magazine to be a publication you look forward to."

Mike Vaughn
Vice-President, MTFCA BoD
Technical Editor, Vintage Ford
TechEditor@mtfca.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

I "LIKE" Jennifer's and Mike's comments above also.

Jennifer hit the nail on the head and gave excellent suggestions to those who might submit articles for The Vintage Ford, and with Mike as Technical Editor, the magazine has an excellent future.

We look forward to your questions, comments and suggestions. Please feel free to email me or any other MTFCA BoD member.

Keith Gumbinger
cgumbinger@att.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Why not reprint old articles like from Fahenstock, Clymer and others concerning repairs and how they were done back in the day? These older methods are practically forgotten and there's a wealth of T knowledge that needs to be brought into the open. Changing bands, installing tops, etc. The list is endless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

The club is very fortunate to have the likes of Jennifer as Editor and Mike as Tech Editor. Kindly share any articles with them for publication in the Vintage Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

I have written a number of articles over the past 20 years, and with collaboration and editorial skills of Jay and Barbara, they were published in the Vintage Ford. Some of these were technical in nature (Oversize Pedal Shafts; The Transmission Cover Felt; The Customer Can Have Any Color He Wants So Long As It is Black; New Evidence on Engine Painting; etc. I have also written articles of a historical nature (Henry Ford, Edward Huff and the Flywheel Magneto; The Piquette Avenue Plant: Birth Place of the Model T; The lost Papers of Faye Leon Faurote). Ron Paterson and I collaborated on a three part series on the Model T Ignition Coil.

The point I want to make is that the labor involved in writing a major article for the Vintage Ford is roughly equal to the labor involved in a ground up restoration of a Model T, maybe more. There is no pay involved. The club will usually reimburse photographic expenses, but that is it. To write a major article can only be described as a labor of love. And it is hard. The Transmission Felt article and the Huff article had to go through several major rewrites as additional information was discovered at the Benson Ford. The Piquett Avenue Plant needs a revision and rewrite. So much more has been learned since that article was published, and many many errors have been found as Piquette has gone through preservation and restoration.

The story of the Model T is far from being completely told. There are many topics, both technical and historical that warrant an article.

For me at least, it is hard work. If something is worth a major article, then it is worthwhile to take the time to write it carefully.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara Klehfoth on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

Trent, I remember well when you spent the weekend at our house and the three of us worked on an article you submitted for the Vintage Ford magazine. It was an intense weekend, and a very productive one. You were always receptive to my many layman questions. I learned much from you. The hobby is very fortunate indeed to have your interest and expertise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barbara Klehfoth on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Larry, Jay is in the process of cleaning out his office. Since he never(!) threw out anything, hopefully the lost pictures that you submitted will be delivered to Jennifer or to the museum. You have been a great contributor to the hobby and we sincerely appreciate your contributions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 02:05 am:

Publishing old technical how to do articles could be good or bad depending on the content and context. While some were cutting edge in the day, some of the information in them could be wrong by current standards and what we have learned in the last few years thanks to research done by some of the members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 06:36 am:

Barbara,

Thank you for posting .... :-)

This forum can serve as an online edition of the magazine.

Have an idea ?

Post it on the forum.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:03 am:

I often wonder how mane people on the forum actually get the magazine ( or used to get it).

On numerous occasions questions have been asked by someone on the forum about a particular subject and there has been no mention that the subject had been documented in a past issue of the Vintage Ford.

It seems therefore that complaining about reprinted material is a bit over the top when no one remembers ( or if they do they don't say so)that it has been covered in an earlier issue of the magazine. As I was the one who suggested the reprints in the last issue you can blame me for that, but were they not worth reading again or the first time?

Previously it was only possible to send an article by post but now as Jennifer has suggested the way to do it is to make it a Word Document which can also contain photo's and drawings which make it easy for the editor to transfer to the magazine content and a lot harder to loose. Bits of paper and separate photo's can be easily lost. You will have the original, Jennifer will be able to file it on the computer and if somehow its lost it can be resent.

I'm sure Jennifer would be interested in what someone considers "fluff" and what are the most interesting or favored types of article,

Personally I am not so interested in the tours which have just passed, hard to make interesting, too late to attend and if you were there you know all about it but that's just me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:14 am:

As a new to the hobby guy, I'd like to see more articles on how to restore, renew, and/ or tricks to get through the process. A step by step section would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:45 am:

I don't get the magazine as I have yet to join the club. Feel free to shame me now.

My dad and grandpa get several tractor magazines, and they say there's been a lot of reprinted articles lately. So it's not just a Vintage Ford problem. I guess it could be the fact that nobody's writing new stuff, so the editors are going back in the vaults and pulling old articles out because they have to print something.

One of the John Deere magazines has started doing something interesting. They have a "who's got one?" section. They pick something John Deere made or sold, and they ask the readers to send in their pictures. The first one to get a picture of them with their JD item gets a year's free subscription. And it's not just tractors and implements. They've done things like grain moisture testers and bolt bins. Maybe the magazine could start doing something like that. The aftermarket for Model T's was huge, maybe they could start asking people to show off certain accessories. Just an idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:02 am:

I don't see a problem with re-printing older articles. Since Model Ts have been around since late 1908, nearly all technical topics have been covered at one time or another. The only exception would be if new materials or technology appears that is offered as a supplement or alternative to the time-tested ways of doing things.

I managed to accumulate a complete set of Vintage Ford and Model T Times magazines, plus a nearly complete set of Horseless Carriage Gazette magazines. Others may not be so fortunate, so the only way they'll see the older articles is if they get re-printed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:26 am:

As a newbie to the hobby, 6 years and counting. What would be interesting, is to take ALL the Technical Tip articles, over the years, and publish them in a book as a reference items.

There has to be a lot of good items, I and many others have never seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:22 am:

Are these magazines free?

If not then those reading do not necessarily need to write an article to complain about it. When I buy a magazine for numerous years I expect to be able to complain without having to have people instantly say "if you do not like it, you do better". Its what your paying for I would have thought.

If the magazine is free then dam right those that are complaining need to start contributing to it. I gave up writing any how to's on anything years ago when writing how to's on numerous other vehicles and found all the time and effort to mark photo's and explain in real detail to then have that mocked and put down to the point of ending up deleting it to save anyone else complain about it. They soon moaned that I took it down and they now do not have a how to for that certain repair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:33 am:

Jason

Maybe you could place an adv. on the Classifieds for the two volume set of books that Ted Aschman (RIP), collected and published from his Tinkerin' Tips over the years. In 2001 these were selling for $15 each. Tinkerin' Tips Volume I printed 1988, 130 pages. Tinkerin' Tips Volume II printed 1993, 100 pages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:41 am:

About a week ago I received my copy of Vintage Ford and thought it was one of the best issues yet! Keep up the good work.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

What should be in the magazines?

=========================

Nekkid women ! :-)

Forget all this boring tour coverage !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

I enjoy all the club magazines. I belong to both Model T Ford clubs -my membership numbers are both under 1000, both Model A Ford clubs (30-45 year member) Antique Automobile Club (since 1950) and the Horseless Carriage Club (Joined in 1955) All of the publications are interesting, but do vary somewhat. I find the Model T Ford Club of America magazine has been steady in content over the years. I would nominate the Horseless Carriage magazine as the best, while not slighting the others. John Meyer (originally from MN) does a consistent great job as editor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 02:46 pm:

How about some "when I was a kid" Model T articles.
This is me around 70 years ago.

Here's the same car today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

We need a "Like" button so I can "Like" Steve's post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Yes, they did have an open doe season that year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

Both of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

Steve.....(LIKE)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

With my Center Door. 1949. A 1922 body on a 1915 chassis. Paid $25 for it. Ran well. Sold it for $85.

Center door

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

I like these old time pictures, and I don't need no stinkin' "Like" button to push to say so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Old Time Pictures \clipart {biggrin}

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Hal, I "LIKE" your picture!!!

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration