Pedal alignment

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pedal alignment
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:39 am:

I have noticed in all the pictures of the pedals in model T's that I have never seen all three pedals in a row. In some cases the reverse pedal is further back ( towards the rear of the car) than the other two but mine is further forward than the other two and quite hard to mash with my big feet.

Is this intentional?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:48 am:

Alan,

You may have a worn out pedal cam that allows for lots of free movement in your pedal, allowing it to drop forward. You may also have a weak band spring which does not push hard enough to return your pedal to the normal position.

In other words, it's probably not intentional.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Alan it has been my experience that reverse is out in front of the other pedals. If you check you may have some wear on the cam for reverse but you can fix that. I have a size 13 wide and believe me I understand with the early hogshead why that may present a problem. I've known some folks that have bent the pedal even more in the correct direction with a little heat. I believe though having good bands and a strong spring with the bands will help you achieve the right position first as long as you don't have much play along the shaft going into the hogshead

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:59 am:

They look like this if they are set up right. No two of them line up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:46 am:

I think bent pedal shafts and worn out pedal cams are more common than many Model T'ers realize.

After having lots of problems with band adjustment and function, I replaced the cams and verified that the pedal shafts were in the correct position and everything then worked properly.

In the absolutely worst case of having badly worn pedal cams together with Kevlar bands, the bands can be over-adjusted to where the Kevlar drags, then over heats and the drums can eventually shatter and explode, requiring a complete transmission rebuild and lots of grief. A real bummer.

Don't overlook this potentially serious problem.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

The pedals are offset as noted by Royce. The Reverse pedal is rearward the most, easy to use it that way without the foot hitting other pedals.

The Brake pedal is normally most forward.

The Low pedal varies, to the setting of 'free neutral' and to where it is in operation, forward when in low, and back when in high gear.

Newly replaced repro cams on Reverse and Brake, these pedals with limited wear on their shaft cams too, and correct bends.

Pedals are positioned in center spot of the new cams. The Low pedal is a NOS part, with new shaft and new repro low speed cam, so this Low pedal is still in correct factory bend.

As posted by Keith, most times the Low pedal and the Brake pedal may be bent and out of alignment from heavy foot stomping over the decades :-)

Same pic, but with the Low pedal moved to imitate low gear position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:46 pm:

Great pics, Dan! Dan's second pic shows the section of low speed linkage (circled in red) that can go "over center" and cause the low pedal to stick in the down position if the low band is adjusted too loose or the linkage length is incorrect.

pic

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration