Sand blasters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Sand blasters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight sand blasters. I see they have 2 small ones and also have the blast cabinets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

I haven't but I would guess they're probably OK. More important than the blaster is the compressor. You want the biggest one you can afford.. Blasting with a compressor that doesn't keep up enough pressure takes forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

I have one of the Harbour Freight pressurized sand blaters. It worked OK for me. Like most sand blasters its best to use them in warm dry weather and low humidity. Its the size that takes about a 5 gal. bucket of sand.
Same goes for the sand or media you would use. The finer and cleaner the better it works. I strain the sand through fine screen wire. That helps to.

Like all overseas products some are pretty good and some are not. The blasters are pretty decent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 09:52 pm:

Steve Jeff just said a mouth full. No blaster will work with out a good air compressor. I have a 5hp Ingersol Rand from TSC for my shop and farm. It has a 60gal. tank.
Volumn is the name of the game. You need a good continuos flow of air for sand blasting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

A sand blaster with a small air compressor takes a lot more sand to get the job done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 11:38 pm:

I agree with John's comment about humidity. My compressor is at the west end of my barn, and the air goes though about fifty feet of half inch pipe to the east end. With a standard small trap at the east end I was still plagued by moisture gumming up the works in humid weather. Running the air through a large tank at the east end was the cure for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:10 am:

I too have HF pressurized blasting unit. I works far better now that I have the upgrade nozzle system. I use Black Diamond instead of sand along with a good respirator. Just don't want to mess around with the chance silicosis. I find if I get the coarser stuff, I can screen and reuse it about 5 times before it is worthless. Haven't had any problem with humidity yet but I always make a point of draining off my compressor tank at the end of the day. Don't know how much that helps, but I don't have humidity clogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:24 am:

Regarding using in low humidity, that leaves poor ol' Richard out...he lives in Florida. That state invented humidity. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:54 am:

If your going to blast wood parts I can guarantee the gun will plug with a wood chip if you are reusing medium in a blast cabinet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 10:27 am:

I have had my HF blast cabinet for about 5 years now I have used several grits but I changed out the stock nozzle with one from another cabinet that I liked better never had a problem with it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Hook up a second and maybe a third tank if you have room. The bigger the better. Run the air from tank to tank and even in East Texas where 70-80% humidity is common air comes out pretty dry. Tanks are cheap on broke compressors. Propane tanks work well, but you got to add a drain and make sure your not building a bomb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 01:33 pm:

Does Harbor Freight sell sand. I've had a sand blaster for yrs but can't seem to get the correct sand down here. One guy said to go out on my back yard and get some

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

I get bags of sand at Atwood farm & ranch supply

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

The Harbour Freight here in town sells the blasting media. Its probably glass beads. They don't sell sand.
I've bought blasting sand at a local equipment supply dealer.
They sell #5 and #9. The #9 is pretty fine and almost whats called sugar sand. The coarser #5 has more a few larger pieces of sand in it.
I use screen wire to strain it and it works OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Harbor Freight sells a black media that is fantastic in my Harbor Freight media blast cabinet. It is lighter than sand and not super fine like glass bead, which they also sell.

I have tried plain sand and find that it absorbs humidity and becomes solid after a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

I think the last bags I got of Black Diamond were at Tractor Supply for $6/each. I have never checked out HF to see what their black media is like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Media are plural. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration