A 1903 Model A, a Stanley Steamer, and an old man

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: A 1903 Model A, a Stanley Steamer, and an old man
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 10:20 pm:

This past Saturday was quite interesting. Cathy and I went out to breakfast in our '28 Chandler, as the T engine is still apart and the the looming MTFCI tour bears ever closer. We had a crowd along with us and the big Chandler handles that task handsomely. 40 miles round trip with 5 people in that car is nothing but fun. On the way back, we noticed that one of the local towns was having a community yard sale, but our breakfast companions had other plans for the day and needed to get on in. As soon as we got home, Cathy and I said good day to our guests and jumped into our '29 Model A to go hit the yard sales. Ever see a Model A Fordor with a 6' step ladder poking out the left rear window? All the time with that little sweetheart! Anyway, we were cruising around the side streets of Linwood, NJ, going from sale to sale, having a great time, when we heard this "train whistle" bearing down on us and a cloud of steam....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:41 am:

Great story that lacks a picture, it seems? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:38 am:

Sounds like there's more of the story to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:37 am:

Dave, If you don't get the T engine together, you can always bring your Model A, it's a Ford! The participation in this tour is unbelievable. We expected about 150 cars, we are just shy of 300. The Model T is alive and well. Going to be a great tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 08:14 am:

Yes I hope the is more of the story to come.
What about the 1903 Model A?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 12:18 pm:

I think this might be one of those story writing exercises where someone else is supposed to
take off from where the last person left off, going around the group until a larger story evolves (?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Burger. Cool idea, but there is a whole lot more to this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

Dave - So,.....why keep us in suspense?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:49 pm:

I suggest we try this both ways and see who can come up with the better story ! :-)

The "pass-around" rule is that the next person to add to the story must continue
the elements added already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:38 pm:

Dave: The suspense is getting to be too much...... what happened in that cloud of steam ???????

Bob J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

Won't assume identity of the "old man"..... LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

Chinese laundry next to the train tracks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:12 am:

Me thinks it was a cloud of dust and with a "hi ho silver", it was really the Lone Ranger

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 07:05 am:

...and a 1910 Stanley Steamer came barreling into view in my mirror. We immediately pulled over to get a look at this awesome vehicle and he pulled right up beside us... Right in the middle of the road. It was a car that I had seen on numerous occasions at the local car shows but could never really get close enough to the old man driving it to strike up a conversation, as crowds of people were always around it. We said hello and shook hands. My wife, who is pretty hard to look at, was very excited. Norman, who looks to be in his mid 90's and still has the swagger to appreciate the interest of an ugly woman, proceeded to climb out of the Stanley to chat with us. This took a few moments but he refused assistance from either of us as he manipulated his feet and legs out of that awesome machine. As we talked, other people also stopped and got out of their cars to see the two old cars. After a little while Norman told me that he also has a Model A. "Would you like to come to my house and see it? Cathy, would you like to ride with me?" Norman said with a big grin. She jumped right in.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 07:33 am:

You're a brave man to post that middle text. Hope you survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:47 am:

There's a guy that shows up at the Rolling Iron Show at Allaire State Park (N.J.) in August with a Steamer. Huge car. '20's I believe. Has a whistle that's a large silver snake mounted on the fender. My first encounter with him was as I was walking down one of the aisles as he pulled in behind me. Totally silent. Couldn't believe something that big could sneak up on a person but he did. Real fanatic. Loves the car. They seem quite complicated but he insisted "No, no very easy to drive & run. I'm skeptical myself and think they scared people away when gasoline cars became so much simpler to own. Quite amazing and VERY fast for it's day. Highway speeds are not a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Is there even more to the story?

Do we have to put another quarter in the slot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Charlie,
Steamers can be tricky to run, but if you run them frequently, they behave better. Dobles especially, as their complex systems do not like to be idle--and a Doble, in good running order, is very much like a modern car--steam enough to move about in about a minute, more like 5 minutes if the system is cold. And yes, they can sneak up on you if the burner is off, VERY quiet!
Then you hit that whistle and watch everyone go to change their pants. . . . :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

I was on a 1-and 2-cylinder tour with my Cadillac a few years back. I was way-y-y out in the western Pennsylvania boonies on a dirt road, all by myself, and had to take a pee. I got out of the car, leaving it chugging, stood next to it facing forward, and did my thing. As I was zipping up, I got the steam whistle. Andy Robeson and Daryl Kendall had been coming along in Andy's Stanley, had seen what I was doing, and had decided to have a bit of fun. They had sneaked up to about 3 feet behind me, and I hadn't heard a damn thing. Fortunately, I no longer had to pee, or I'd have had to wash the Cadillac. All three of us cracked up over that one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

Dave has gone missing

Cathy has gone on vacation

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

Let me take this a little further .... :-)

-------------------------------------------------

So, Cathy gets in the steamer and asks the old man, just how old are you ? The man replied that he
got that question all the time. " I am actually only 22, but having smoked since I was 3, I appear much
more weathered than one might expect, I guess."

What line of work are you in ? Cathy asked as they chuffed along.

I used to be a shepherd, but the bottom dropped out of the flock-tending business, so I moved on to
social agitation, working with various minority groups to get them all angry and fired up against the system"

Oh ? Cathy said.

"Yeah, we're on our way right now to a rally. I figure the more the merrier ! he replied.

--------------------------------------------------

Someone else can take it from here. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:16 pm:

Cathy always harbored a hidden passion for the men of steam.

But they were few and far between.

She settled for gent with a T.

Until came a day of fateful opportunity

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

....sure to have another story installment from Dave.... kinda keeps ya on the edge of your seat ??

Waiting to see how he avoids the dog house,... or even worse. Hang in there buddy, I'll visit ya in jail if necessary..... LOL !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

THAT HAS TO BE WORTH TWO MORE QUARTERS IN THE SLOT THEN..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Alas, I have been hard at work, not having much time for typing. Cathy needs a new pair of shoes! However, as I sit here now, my T engine is all together and running on the test stand. I'm doing six hours of run-in this time and dumping the oil every 20 minutes before putting it back into the car. Bob J can vouch for the accuracy of my statements regarding my wife...

The story will certainly continue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:45 pm:

Whatever..... :-)

Dave's profile photo. If one of them isn't his wife, he has some splainin to do..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 04:04 am:

Gotta agree with Rob. I've lost interest. Moving on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 07:26 am:

Dave how about a picture of your 1928 Chandler. Which model do you have? Six, Big Six, Eight?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Despite what Dave says about his wife, she is an intelligent, caring, devoted beautiful woman..... Cathy is wearing black gloves pictured above.

Good progress on the T engine Dave, envious since we could not be with you on the upcoming tour. Be safe & enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:38 am:

We got to Norman's home, which was only a mile away, parked my A and we all went for a ride in the Stanley. Incredibly quiet machine. He told me all about the operation of the various valves on the dash board and the back ground of the car. He has had it for the past 45 years. Got back to the house and into the garage we go. He sits Model T engine number 002 in a crate, a beautiful 1903 Model A in award winning condition and all sorts of other amazing items.

He invited us in for a cold drink and we sat on the couch for two hours as he told us the story of the Model A and the topic of the Seldon Patent, ALAM royalties, Oldmobile curved dash races, racing his 1903 at Greenfield Village in the fifties and on and on. It was astounding.

He is the first registered owner of that car. It was the vehicle used as evidence during the long, drawn out court battle between Henry Ford and the Association or Licensed Automobile Manufacturers. After the case was settled in 1911, the car remained in storage in Manhattan and later put on display in a North Jersey museum. The car later went back into storage and survived a building fire. He acquired it in 1950.

All in all, it was just another of those amazing happenings that seem to occur when all of us drive around in these amazing old Fords. What a fun hobby!

Sorry for the long drawn out "story", but I'm not retired and finding the spare time to sit and type comes hard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Here's a picture of the '28 Chandler Royal 8, model 85

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

Dave,
Very nice.........

The car, I meant the car, uh, Chandler, yes, the Chandler......

:-)

Thank you for posting,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Very nice Dave. We also have a Chandler (actually two), a 1929 Chandler model 65 sedan and a 1914 Chandler sedan. Neither has been bought up to the high standard your car is now.
If you have not already please join our Chandler-Cleveland Car Club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 07:46 pm:

Chris, can you email me some contact info regarding the Chandler club. I have two idenentical Royal 85's. The one is apart at this time and I'm redoing the engine. Lots of custom work there! I had Egge re-Babbit the rod bearings and make me valves. Neat car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

PM sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:27 am:

When I was a kid growing up in Newton, MA (home of the Stanley), there was a Father Ellis - an Episcopalian minister who lived near us. He had (as I recall) four Stanleys. All were operable and in perfect or near-perfect condition. This would have been in the late 40's through the 50's. I have wondered for years what happened to them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:50 am:

Riding in the Stanley was an intriguing experience. The silence and the speed were unexpected. I want to spend some time with this fellow and learn what I can from him about steam. It's the sort of knowledge that must be passed down from the elders to carry on. However, the cost of entry into owning one of these is rather prohibitive. This man's home was spectacular, had an elevator and a "museum" room full of amazing antiques and outboard engines. Definitely a person of means.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 04:24 pm:

Jahn, Father Ellis wrote a book about his Stanleys called "Smogless Days" if you can find a copy it is wonderful reading--especially his description of firing up a Stanley--very humorous! I found my copy at the local Library "Surplus books" sale!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I'd love to find that book. Chris, here's another shot of the 28 Royal 85:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 05:33 pm:

And the '29:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Thanks David (Dewey) I didn't know about the book. I will be looking for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Update - I found the book for about $13 including shipping on Amazon. I ordered it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Dave,
Wow, the '29 looks to be in fine shape; slept a long time in a garage? Not to say anything wrong about the '28, it looks like a fine restoration. Huge cars, how well do they stop?
John, Great! Think you'll really enjoy his stories. While his "Starting a Stanley" story is sorta meant to be humorous, it is also very true! $13 sounds like a bargain too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Dave Y,

Tell us more about the story of the Model T engine #002 in the crate. Love to here about that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Update #2 - I received the book, and found that it was dedicated to Frank Gardner. Frank was a friend who had a collection of brass-era cars. I have ridden in his Crane-Simplex which is now in the Heritage Plantation museum in Sandwich, MA. It's a small museum, but with an amazing collection of cars including Clark Gable's Duesenberg SJ. You will need your GPS to find the place; it's not on a main road, but well worth the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 11:05 am:

John,
Amazing tie-ins; I'm glad you found the book. Frank Gardner's name used to come up often "back then" -- I hadn't heard/seen it in decades! And why it seems so familiar is lost to me. When I find my copy, I'll have to read it again!
Dave Y, YES! Please elaborate on #002!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, June 25, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Norman is bringing his Stanley to my dock party this afternoon and I fully intend to learn more about the "002 T engine in the crate". I'm hoping to get an invitation to come back to come back to his garage! More details are sure to come.

The 29 Chandler was last on the road in 1942.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Gorman on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:06 pm:

Dave your '29 Chandler is the big brother to my '29 Chandler.
1929 Chandler model 65

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Chris. That vacuum tank looks great! Is she a runner yet?

Tod. Norm came to my party yesterday, with the Steamer, and we got to chat some. The #002 motor turns out to not be a T but rather a spare for his 1903 Model A. Heck of an interesting guy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration