Back again, Van shape questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Back again, Van shape questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 02:50 am:

I am back again everyone. You may recall I was thinking of a TT to put a Fordson model F tractor on. I got a close to buying a TT then finally came to my senses that it would probably way too dangerous not just for me but for the public road users.

So I am selling my Fordson F tractors and going to concentrate on a model T restoration. I have also had the "go ahead" from Mrs AB so all is good.

I am looking for a van over a car or pickup as the van will also be sign written to advertise our business which is also in keeping with the era.

However I have a few questions regarding the shapes. There seem to be a few different van designs. A c cab and a more straight van with half doors. I am wanting the one with small doors on over the C cab but if I am to start looking at a rolling chassis do I need to buy a specific van C or straight looking chassis or any chassis? Is there a name for the other design van?

Sorry for all the questions, any help on any of them would be very much appreciated. I am in the UK however if that changes anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:56 am:

Any chassis should be fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 04:30 am:

Truck bodies were about as anything goes as anything ever got. Before 1924, Ford did not supply bodies to trucks of either large or small size EXCEPT for the one style offered in 1912 on the car chassis. From a practical standpoint, All TT and T chassis trucks used a body built by someone else. Several automobile body companies offered a fine selection of well made bodies for every need. Some of these companies built and sold these by the many hundreds. Some of the finest cabinetry and even furniture shops built bodies of various types also. Almost any carriage, harness, or wagon shop could and did build bodies. Many people, farmers and businessmen, simply built their own just because they could.
As one may imagine. the differences in style, quality of construction, materials used, and the practical applications for each truck varied about as much as the builders themselves did.

Try to follow the link I have provided below. It should take you to a tread on the MTFCI forum site, all about original era photos of trucks. Mostly TTs, with a few Ts, and a Dodge or REO slipped in occasionally. Many beautiful pictures showing so much of what was done.

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/134-Ford-Model-TT-Truck-Original-Pe riod-Photos

Many general designs can be easily resized

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:01 am:

Hey thank you for the link. I am not really looking for a TT truck though, more a van. But some lovely pictures.

Great so for sake a sedan chassis would be the same as a van chassis which again would be the same as the tourer chassis or doctors coupe and Tudor. Same chassis but different body? Seems a common sense way of mass production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 08:28 am:

Hello Me,
I see from your profile that you are in England. The Ford Factory did in fact provide Van bodies on car and TT chassis. If you check out the back of the dust cover on the book "The English Model T Ford", you will see fine examples on both a car and TT chassis.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:20 am:

Here's a few ideas. The first two are great as they are simply bolted onto an existing roadster with it's turtle deck removed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:25 am:

Have a look at http://www.customfurniture.net/piewagons/
Lots of ideas and all adaptable to what you like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:35 am:

In the USA, the bodies like a 'van' were typically called Panel Bodies. Ford sold bare car or truck (TT) chassis.

These are Mifflinburg Body Co bodies, the panel material was similar to today's Masonite.

closed cab style, car T chassis

open cab style, car T chassis

closed cab, TT truck chassis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 10:07 am:

Aha I see why the confusion. I do have that book so I will have a gander when I find it on my bookcase.

Thank you for the examples too. They are all very nice but not what I would like.

Hopefully I have attached some pictures from google of the type I like. I have no idea what it is called. It looks to be on a car chassis?

Thank you for your help so far it is very much appreciated. Cannot wait to go see a few in the next few weeks and months.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

I would start searching in the Hen's Teeth section for one of these. I suspect finding one will be
a challenge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:15 pm:

As Alan said, Ford of England did in fact have there own style of truck bodies (T & TT) that were sold as a unit. This seems to be the type that would tickle your fancy. The Model T Club in Britain has a decent library for the sorts of things and I suggest you contact them also.
http://www.modeltregister.co.uk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

I read that having one's fancy tickled in public was recently made legal in the UK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

An Irish Model T Ford 7 Cwt Delivery Van - first registered in October 1921

{An Irish Model T 7Cwt Van}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Cuddy on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

Here is the picture downsized to fit.

IF 3863

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 02:55 am:

William Cuddy. Thank you. Exactly what I would like. I very much prefer that over the C cab. No idea why as the C cab still looks lovely.

Fred Miller thank you I will have a good look and probably sign up.

Burger In Spokane although made legal in the UK the EU regs still over rule it so it is not actually legal which is a shame, I love a tickle now and then :-/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 09:54 am:

I thought I already posted this, but it's not here.
The two vans posted by 'Me' are UK designed and built. Percival Perry, the UK MD was allowed to make his own van to replace the original American-designed C Cab type which was withdrawn after one year. The new van appeared in Spring 1914 and was made in that form until 1926, when the 'Enclosed' van replaced it.
59000 vans were built in Manchester. A few survive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

Hi Thank you Chris. Yes its Me. I keep trying to change it to my username but the page keeps bringing up a locked error.

Anyway thank you. Can anyone say if that design is on a ton truck or car chassis please?

I think I will be getting a chassis and somehow get someone to make the body separately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

It's on the car chassis.
Manchester also made a 'Ton Van' on the TT chassis, and finally the 'Ton Enclosed Van' with crew doors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:32 am:

Hi Chris

Perfect thank you. Time to take a trip to see a man about a chassis and engine soon.

I think the Ton Van is the one that looks very long without the side steps. I may be wrong. Still learning it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:44 am:

English vans:
1921 Ton Van
Enclosed Ton Van
Enclosed Light Van
Military vanLilleker family's van

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:13 am:

That bottom one is lovely. I note the TT vans do have the side treads still.

Where would one get any plans for the vans or are they simply a make from picture thing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:23 am:

anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Those are metal bodies made by Ford of England. I think you could buy one cheaper than building one.

Here's one that belongs to Neal Tuckett:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

A depot hack body with roll up canvas panels makes a neat commercial vehicle also and the canvas can easily be decorated with your signage. Roll up the sides and you have a pleasure vehicle and with the panels rolled down you have a great advertising panel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

hmmmmm I was not aware they were metal, I thought they were wood. :-/ that is going to make them like hens teeth.

I will have a work with Neil and see if he has any suggestions.

If I was to find a fabricator is there any designs or plans available or anything in any books that would help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 01:59 am:

Went and saw a lovely man yesterday. The said Neil who is sorting me a rolling chassis and will allow me to measure up his van so I will be taking notes along the way. I can see it being a long project but bring it on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 07:16 am:

Here's one that has had 100% chassis restoration with the original body left entirely intact.In one family business since new, it was parked in a warehouse when replaced and given to a member of the family who had the brilliant idea to leave the body alone. It has been for sale, it's in Newport News, Virginia where my wife's family lives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 07:23 am:

I resized this picture before posting, and this is what I got.....anyway it would be a great picture to build a body copy from, so clear it could be scaled accurately down to the body irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 12:39 am:

Sorry Me, thread drift:
Gary, guys, what is that particular black color on the "Oyster" delivery's chassis?
It ain't gloss. Thank heavens.
It ain't dead-flat black. Is it? Nah.
Is that a matte black? Kinda in between...???
I DISLIKE painting rusty T's but my future has a painted one in it.
I really like that color if I have to paint.
The woman in my life MAY like it better painted.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 01:26 am:

From what I have read, seen and been told the paint was never perfect from the factory so no need to make it all shiny and perfect like a sports car. Or thats the kind of view I have got.

However looking at some old photo's you see them in either flaky poor condition or in nice sparkling gloss finishes.
Thats my view but pretty sure there is many with much more knowledge that can add to that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 07:47 am:

My 1918 Light delivery. Bodywork is all wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Now that is lovely. pretty much what I want.
Yours has the nice smooth sides but was it not meant to be a rectangle window? Or was that earlier? Right hand drive too.

I am aiming for a 23 so oval window, low black rad and high and low body lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Monday, July 11, 2016 - 01:31 am:

Entex made a very detailed 1/16 scale plastic model of a Model T van. The model is discontinued but can be found on ebay. The assembled model can be used to make a pattern for a full sized van. simply take accurate measurements of the various components of the model and multiply the 1/16 scale measurements by 16 to get a full sized pattern. You can see the assembled model in the below thread from 2010. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/129242.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Me on Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:46 am:

That is a really nice model and pic above. I am after an English Model T Van though :-(

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration