Magnetic oil screen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Magnetic oil screen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Adkisson on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Thinking about using a magnetic pickup on a new rebuild? It will pick up a lot of face powder fines from the rings seating or metal chips which I had none

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Good idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

Great Idea and also you can cut a piece of filter material to lay in there that helps filter the oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:21 pm:

I always put a magnet in the filter screen. It is amazing how much metallic lint it removes from the oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:45 am:

Gene, What kind of filer media do you cut to lay in the trans screen. Wouldn't be too hard to keep in there by just laying the magnet on top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:51 am:

Didn't they come with a magnet or did they stop supplying it? It's a good idea any way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 09:44 am:

The last screen I bought had a tiny magnet so I added a larger one about the size of a dime. It picks up stuff real well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 09:45 am:

I installed 4 5lbs rare earth magnets in my screen, spread out, to minimize disruptions to the oil flow below. The first year or two after a rebuild, there was a lot of stuff collected on the magnets. It was also interesting to see a thick gel surrounding the magnets.

Now I have almost nothing on the magnets when I do an oil change.

I also made a magnetic oil drain plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:48 am:

OT In aviation circles, the magnetic chip collector is on the drain plug.
According to FAA rules, the pilot / owner is not allowed to do his own oil changes. A certified mechanic must do them.
The pilot is allowed to top up the oil when it is low and is allowed to check the magnetic chip detector.
As explained by the DAR, the pilot can check the chip detector by removing the plug. This causes all of the oil to run out all over the floor. Once the chip detector is cleaned, it is replaced and then the pilot / owner checks the oil level and finds it to be low. He wonders how that could happen. He unscrews the oil filter and finds that it is empty also. HMMM, Might as well screw in a new clean filter. Nothing illegal about that. Oh, yes, the oil level is still low, so he tops it up and checks to make sure the level is right as per the manual.
I used to have a magnet on the end of my dipstick but now it is on the drain plug so that way I can LEGALLY do my own oil changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

Alan,
And we wonder how lawyers make all that money. . .
I think I would add a "Drip Pan" under my plane's tie-down just to keep the hanger floor clean. Oh, yes, it should be able to hold enough oil to fill the engine, just in case the drip is excessive. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 01:36 pm:

Alan,
And we wonder how lawyers make all that money. . .
I think I would add a "Drip Pan" under my plane's tie-down just to keep the hanger floor clean. Oh, yes, it should be able to hold enough oil to fill the engine, just in case the drip is excessive. . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

NO,No no no, no drip pan.
That would give the lawyers the argument that I expected the oil to run out and therefore did it intentionally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:16 am:

But Alan, couldn't you argue that the plane has a tendency to mark it's territory?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration