Old Photo - Brass Era - A Batch Of New FORDS

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Brass Era - A Batch Of New FORDS
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 10:59 am:

"McLaughlin Vehicles" is a Canadian Make

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Might be Canada. Note "McLaughlin Vehicles"

1912 Ontario plates?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:06 am:

McLaughlin morphed into the Canadian Buick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Forgive my ignorance. So, McLaughlin purchased running chassis, manufactured bodies and sold complete cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Looks like they also sold Singer Sewing Machines, judging by the boot-mount sign on the window frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 04:08 pm:

"The S.H. Rutledge opened an early dealership on Owen Sound Street in Shelburne (shown c. 1920), selling McLaughlan automobiles. Photo Courtesy Dufferin County Museum And Archives."

More here: http://www.inthehills.ca/2008/09/departments/natural-enemies-horse-vs-automobile /

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/452496.html?1402835505

I posted these pics before from the actual town while I had my T there. Always good to see them again though for the sake of the new people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

Great picture. When cars were clean they still had mud all over them. I would hate to be the car wash guy, if there was a wash guy in those days. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

Is that a coffin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 06:41 am:

Royce - the object standing vertical and leaning against the building on the right side of the building might be a coffin. But then it would appear to be out of place -- why would it have been there? Also it appears to be rally narrow compared to the people standing near it. I.e. would the deceased person have to be put in sideways to fit? I suspect it is something other than a coffin. But what would that have been? I'm not sure.

I believe the photo was taken when those 1912 slab sided tourings were new. That is based on the enlarged photos that link Dave Wells posted above and his link is reposted here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/452496.html?1402835505 Three of the license plates that can be seen in the enlarged photo are consecutive numbers. I believe further research would show they are dealer plates -- but again that is just an initial guess.

I believe that makes it a circa 1912 rather than 1920 photo. And I think the odds of having that many shinny new looking 1912 tourings in 1920 also rule out the 1920 date.

For 1912 -- my first guess for the object would be a watering trough for horses. What would it be doing there? Another quess, they moved it to make room for the photo of the new Fords in front of the dealership that had just started offering Fords (probably along with the McLaughlin-Buicks). But someone else may recognize it for what it really is.

Note on page 102 of "The Americian Car Since 1775" it describes how McLaughlin originally planned to have an all Canadian built automobile. But when his key designer/engineer took ill, to save his investment/idea he signed a 15 year contract with William Durant to purchase Buick engines and other parts. McLaughlin fitted them with bodies made in Canada. They started producing and selling cars in 1908.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 07:09 am:

Those licence plates are definitely Ontario 1912. Burger noticed the Singer Sewing Machine sign in the window. Also, in the window to the left, it says "Edison Phonographs".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

If you look behind all the cars it looks to me like there is a row of cemetery monuments. Perhaps they are samples?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration