Rear axle

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear axle
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:19 am:

So Iam playing with a small drum and large drum rear axle. I noticed that the spring perch mounting hole is at different heights. So are there different springs? Iam thinking that the back of the car will set higher with the large drum rear axle. What am I missing? Thanks for any help you can give, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:27 am:

No, there aren't different springs, there are different spring hangers. Each brings the chassis height to the same dimension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 11:30 am:

I guess I should have said "different spring perches".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

Thanks Jerry, I have two different style of aftermarket assist springs with there own hangers and the ones off the small drum. no wonder Iam lost. Thanks for your help, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Here are a couple pictures that illustrates the difference:

12 axle

27 backing plate

The larger diameter 26/27 brake drums are also wider, pushing the backing plate inwards compared to the earlier small drum axles, so they have a recess under the perch for the shackles and springs during spring action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

The "Improved" Fords for 1926-27 were 1" lower than they previous years. On the front end this was accomplished by a spindle with a 1/2" drop and a front spring that had less of a crown. Was the drop in the rear due entirely to the spring perch or did the spring on the rear have less of a crown, or maybe the rear crossmember was different also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

The drop in the rear was accomplished by a higher arc in the rear frame crossmember. The rear spring was the same 1918-27 and the perch design difference didn't affect ride height.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration