Hah, you think you got it rough! Hah!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hah, you think you got it rough! Hah!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 04:54 pm:

You guys that drop your ignition key or a band washer or a screw down into your transmission think you got it so bad? Today, I topped 'em all. I dropped an entire feeler gauge set down the back of the pan and into the bottom of the sump, under the fly wheel. I win! I'm the biggest Moro...

Okay, enough of that. I see no reason to beat myself up! Well, yeah, I do but... I got it out! Hip hip...

Whew, after all this job has put me through to chase down this darn engine knock, I really didn't want to pull the motor to retrieve that doggone thing. But I got it out. I ruined my "telescoping" magnet by bending it in a 90 degree angle, but I got the feeler gauge out of the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Would it be inappropriate or insensitive to ask what the heck you were doing in there with a feeler gauge to start with? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

That aint so bad Mike...I dropped my cell phone in the sewage pit at work when I was servicing the pump! I had nothing but sh*tty calls ever since:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

No Henry, it's more than appropriate to ask. In fact I think it's reasonable for everyone to want an explanation of how someone with my limited intelligence could drop a feeler gauge into the back of a 1924 Model T Ford engine. As a matter of fact, you need to get the answer you deserve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Michael,

That's what I thought. It jumped off the shelf from 10 feet away and ended up in the engine. Perfectly understandable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Dennis, maybe you need to explain what you were doing talking to that sewage pump with that cell phone. And just the thought of you "servicing" a sewage pump causes me to wonder just what kind of perverted people we've got on this forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Yup Henry, that's exactly what happened. At any rate, that's the story I'm going with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Oops, sorry Dennis, I forgot the :-) at the end of my post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

The guys that really have it rough are the ones who drop stuff and don't find out until noise starts. Or leave rags in an engine and need to tear motor down to get the shreds out. Oh crap, I think I may have just jinxed myself :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

My dad told me a story of a neighbour who dropped a pair of pliers into the transmission of their T while doing a band adjustment. This was back in the '40's. Anyway they gave up trying to retrieve it and went for a drive. They got about 1/2 a mile when everything came to a sliding halt. They walked to my dad's place and got him to hook his tractor to the back of the car. Miraculously after a bit of sliding rear wheels it unlocked. My dad then towed them to their home. The car was never used again.
My dad had a '25 Chev.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Okay Les, your Dad's neighbor wins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

I was very cAreful when I adjusted my bands and still stressed hearing of all the people on here mentioning the possibility of dropping tools. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:22 pm:

Mike, if you could post one of those smiley faces with them holding their nose it would fit my comment. The story with the phone is I just finished calling a supply house inquiring about parts for the pump and I put the phone in my shirt pocket (something I very rarely do) then I leaned over the pit to close the lid and my phone fell out of my pocket into the pit. I've dropped my phone in swimming pools, telephone trenches, toilets, oil drums etc. I guess it's just the hazard of my job.

By the way when the pumping company came a week later to pump the sewage pit so I could repair the pump he sucked up my phone in his hose and then he handed it to me and ask if I wanted to keep it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Dennis, totally understandable. We seem to find cell phones are a great convenience and still we go through them on a pretty regular basis. I always remember I left mine in the pocket of my pants just about the time the final spin cycle is ending.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration