Oil plug

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil plug
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 06:03 pm:

When I try to loosen my oil plug, the female threaded area turns with the plug. I can't get the plug out. What has anyone done about this? Will it all eventually fall out? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:26 pm:

Tom, I doubt it will fall out. It may leak a bit, but will you notice a bit more oil on the ground.

To get the plug out, I would tack weld the ferrule with a mig welder to make it stay put. The added heat may also help to free it up.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:31 pm:

That threaded ring was originally brazed in place. Allan has a good method. The correct way would be to pull the engine, remove and clean the pan and then weld or braze back.

Once had a drain ring that moved just a little back and forth, did have some weeping too, so cleaned it well with lacquer thinner. Then smeared on a glob of JB Weld.....that worked!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

Allan did what I tried on my 15. Stopped it from turning but the leak was a little worse. Waiting to finish the 16 roadster then this one goes in the shop to Pull the engine. I think there are now enough problems to work on to justify pulling it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 01:33 am:

Had this happen once on a modern Honda. had to pull the engine, drop the pan a re-braze the plug in.
Also happened once on a Model A engine I was helping put in a car; engine was rebuilt, but when we dropped the pan, it was still full of sludge! The oil pump hadn't been touched either! If that plug hadn't been loose, the guy probably would have lost his new bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:24 am:

Allan

Did you tack weld it on the car with oil in the engine??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Is it leaking? If it is not leaking why not hold the plug with Vise Grips and then drill and tap for 3/8's pipe plug? With the odd's of gas or fumes in the pan i would not weld? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Tom, tack welded with oil still in the motor. The heat from a mig tack weld is very localised. With cold oil in the motor, you are not likely to get anywhere near the usual operating temperature of the oil.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration