Wiring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wiring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennis delano on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:12 am:

Hello everyone, I am in the process of converting my '26 touring car from 12 volt back to 6 volt and decided to replace the terminal block and the dash wiring harness. I followed the diagram that is in the blue electrical manual as close as possible but found that there was some variance between the old wiring colors and the new. I think I have it installed correctly in that everything seems to be working properly (including the turn signals and brake lights that I had previously installed years ago), my problem is that the terminal on the back of the ignition switch that is connected to the bat terminal on the switch (yellow) and the jumper wire to the ammeter seems to get a bit warm when the headlights are on and I was wondering if this is normal on a T or do I maybe have something messed up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:50 am:

The headlights do draw a quite a bit of current. You may want to get the connections as clean as possible. Any rust or corrosion present will be a resistance. New screws might help. If you call Ben Martin he can tell you the size and pitch. Resistance will generates heat when current is applied.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 11:23 am:

What is that wire on the right of the ammeter?
It doesn't look like an original part of the harness. From memory, which is certainly not infallible,there should only be one wire on each ammeter terminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennis delano on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Thank's, I just checked the two extra black wires on the ammeter and one powers the add on turn signals (with fuse), the other powers the dash light (jewel). I think I will change that set up later today and run them to the terminal block just to be on the safe side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennis delano on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

I have to run out and get some 6 volt bulbs for the turn signals and the brake lights, does anyone know the proper numbers for 6v as opposed to the 12v? they are extremely difficult to read on the the bulbs themselves!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennis delano on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

I replaced the headlights with 6 volt bulbs and they are very bright, (brighter than I remember them being before I switched everything to 12v)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 03:01 pm:

Dennis,

Take your 12 volt bulbs with you to an old school auto parts house and ask for the 6 volt equivalent. The bulb you need depends on what will fit the light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

How will you be powering your street-thumpin' stereo, Dude ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

The hot wire to the amp gauge needs to be the same size as the generator wire, or is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

Dennis
When you changed the car to 12 volt and then back to 6 volt, did you use the same or different starters?
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennis delano on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

@ John, I went to the local autozone store and discovered that they wanted $4.99 plus tax for 2 #63 turn single bulbs (6v) and $4.99 plus tax for 2 #1154 6v brake and tail light bulbs!!!!!!! I just ordered them online for $.75 each plus shipping, so I got 10 bulbs delivered to my door for less than if I would have bought them at the store!!!!!!! for this, I can wait the couple of days that it will take for them to get here!!!!! I was just going to buy them at the store and be done with it, but could not bring myself to get "fleeced" based on principle!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dennis delano on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

@Larry They look to be the same size but I will double check

@ David, I used the same starter which I rebuilt a few years ago and seems to be ok!

@burger, I once had visions of installing a radio and gps but came to the realization that the clickety clack of the T motor was all the "music" that i needed to hear, and after replacing no less than 3 bendix's and now the ring gear, decided that I was getting too old to own a 12 volt T!!!!!!!

PS, I DO appreciate those of you that have been blessed enough to have the 12 volt system work on your T's, but THIS T, is one stubburn old mule like it's owner and does not like change!!!!LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:52 am:

Here's my '26.
Before

After

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration