Anyone going to be in the MIlford Michigan area this weekend 6/11-6/12?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anyone going to be in the MIlford Michigan area this weekend 6/11-6/12?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 07:35 am:

Hello,

I am relatively new to T's and have been sorting out my 1914 touring for a little over a year. Things are shaping up and it drives about 200% better than when I got it. (new coils, cleaned radiator and a carb did wonders)

I have had a knock in the engine at high speeds since I bought it. I notice it a lot more now, because I am capable of higher speeds now that it is tuned up. Anyway at above 33 or so in High, reving the engine in Neutral, or high engine speed in low it knocks a little. The noise is worse on decel, and a load can make it seem to go away, but I am not sure if that is also because the engine slows down.

I am in MI, so there are a lot of T people out here. I have traded a few emails with the helpful and knowledgeable Jerry Van, and I think he has me pointed in the right direction.

I took the pan down once when I first got the car and pushed and pulled on all the rods and they all felt similar. I put everything back together and tried shorting one coil at a time recently. Shorting 3 of the coils had really no effect on the noise, but shorting the coil for Cyl#3 changed the noise. (It did not go away, but it lessened in volume and was lower frequency)

I am going to pull the pan again this weekend and remove a shim from the cyl #3 con rod. This is something I do not think will be that bad, but I never done it and if anyone with experience will be in the area and would not mind helping I would be extremely appreciative. (I am right next to the GM proving ground)

Experience makes jobs go easier, and I know the only way to gain experience is to do the jobs. That said, a little guidance makes things go smoother. I swapped my clincher tires a few weeks ago to new ones and made a few mistakes along the way. The first one took well over an hour to mount and the last one took about 10 min...

If you are in the area, let me know. We can go for ice-cream in the T, or an A after...

Thanks!
-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Joe
Sounds like a timing issue. What happens when you change the timing etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Jon,

I have only adjusted the timing lever a little while it was making the noise, and it did not have an effect. Shorting coil 3 did make a big change. I will play more with timing this evening, and plan on plastigauging all the con rods this weekend.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 03:46 pm:

Joe, sounds like a rod is out on no.3, when you take the cap off look at the rod and cap both if it is not tore up to bad you may be able to pull shims, if no shims some people file the caps down to take up the slack. Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

PM sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Joe: If you do not have the FORD Service Manual, get one. It will tell you how to do anything you need to do to a Model T. Reprints are sold by all the vendors, but an original is best for the pictures. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Joe, wish I could help but I'm a mechanical dope!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

It looks like Peter will be in the neighborhood and may be able to stop by tomorrow. I hope to have it fixed up tomorrow.

I have had the dip pan off before and nothing looked or felt out of the ordinary. There were shims, but I didn't touch them the first time.

Thanks everyone!
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 12:53 pm:

Peter Nikolajevs was in the area for cub scouts and stopped by this morning. He is a super nice guy and was very helpful / knowledgeable. I really appreciate him helping out a noob like me with the T. This hobby is just full of great people.

Peter walked me through the process of taking up the rods, and we started by taking one 0.003" shim out of #3. The plastigauge showed a variation across the length between 0.0015 and 0.003. We decided to put it together and go for a ride. It was better, but still knocking at high speeds.

I decided to take a little more shim out of #3 and check all the rods. I ended up pulling all the shims out of #3 (2 on one side and 1 on the other) and the plastigauge now reads 0.15 across the whole surface, and the rod was still easy to slide back and forth on the crank, so I am pretty sure it is not too tight.

I checked #1 and #2 with plastigauge and they were at about 0.15 so I left them. #4 looked like a pain in the but, so I skipped it.

Now the fun - I decided to take a look at the center main. The first square bolt I tried was pretty tight and stayed kinda tight as I turned it. I figured there was a bogered up thread, and I would take it out and chase it. After a few turns, it did not seem to be coming out, so I tried the other bolt. It was much looser, but it also does not seem to be coming out. I hear a clicking noise high up every few revolutions. I will make a separate post to look for help, but my first thought is that both of my center main bolts have an issue.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:10 pm:

If you read the post about something going through the block you might want to do a tear down before it's your turn? Trent posted about busting crank's by just removing shims and tightning down the center main!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration