Tool kit material for a 11' / 12'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tool kit material for a 11' / 12'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 07:45 am:

OK Kids, I've read a lot of threads on this subject of the tool kit material being left over top material or canvas, or possibly left overs from seat backs. The one pictured is mine and made from top material. What is period correct, I want to be sure I get it right?11' / 12' Tool Roll

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 09:44 am:

The early examples I saw growing up with my father were made of a material called oilcloth. The use of oil cloth should be no problem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oilcloth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 09:49 am:

I've always used top material. If you look closely at the parts books for 1913, it appears they had people sewing scraps of material together to make the tool rolls. They clearly show three pieces of material sewn together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Hi Larry, what parts book are you referencing, I looked in my small original factory parts book and didn't see anything like that?
BTW, we spoke some time ago about an exhaust pipe, I did end up making one on a friends hydraulic bending jig use for making architectural handrails. Worked out nice! Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Plate No.21 Special Tools, page Sixty.
Price List of Parts, Fifth Ed. Sept. 1912

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 05:46 am:

Thanks Dan, That's the photo I have in all my parts books, but hard to tell what it's made from. If I use a magnifier it's no help since the printing doesn't have enough resolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 06:59 am:

I hate to Bump, but...... Top material or canvas, it's got to be period correct!!! Anyone have an original they can take a picture of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 10:23 am:

I don't think they used canvas. Those are reproductions made many years ago. I have three original Ford tool rolls, and all are made from Ford grain top material. I wish I had the early roll pictured in the Ford parts book, but don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

Can somebody post a picture of an original tool roll for a 1924? As far as I have seen, the Rodda books and vendor catalogs show pics of every era tool roll but that one. Thanks! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration