Petitt Jean Swap Meet, Morrilton Arkansas June 14-18

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Petitt Jean Swap Meet, Morrilton Arkansas June 14-18
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:23 pm:

Well it is swap meet time in Arkansas again. Petitt Jean is our big one for the year. Like a lot of swap meets the focus has changed to the 50s 60s 70s era, but it still is a nice swap meet. There usually are several of our "Tin Lizzies" model T club members that go and take there cars. The meet is at the Museum of Automobiles on top of Petitt Jean Mountain. That was Arkansas first state park. There are lots of shade trees, as the swap meet is in the woods surrounding the museum. Not a ton of Model T parts like there used to be, but I always find some goodies. I am late posting this year as I thought I could not go. But I am loading the trailer with as much as I can do in two days. I go up on Saturday the 11th (tomorrow) with my travel trailer, then go back with the second load on Monday and start staying on the mountain. Petitt Jean is not like most meets. There will be some folks there for over a week before the swap meet starts. So some folks come and just camp on the spaces till the meet starts. It is officially from Tuesday the 14th till Saturday the 18th. But there is very little happening till Thursday and Friday. So if you only have one day to come I suggest Friday. They have their big car show on Saturday and that is when the crowds are the biggest, but you get to look at some nice cars in the show if you go on Saturday. By Saturday, the vendors are getting tired (me) and start packing up about noon or a little before. By 3:00 PM Saturday the race to leave is in full swing. So if you come Saturday, be there early (7:30 to 8:00 AM, at the latest)and move fast ...:-) :-). For the guys that bought T parts from me last year. I will have some stuff this year but not like the big trailer full I had from the Estate I helped with last year. So maybe I can get to visit some and not have to deal with 100s of buyers wanting stuff ... :-) :-) If you need a room to stay in, I suggest trying Morrilton Arkansas, Dardanelle Arkansas, or Russellville Arkansas. Everything real close is filled up a year ahead of time ... There may be a camp spot at the Petitt Jean State Park open but it is usually very "Iffy" at best.... See ya'll there .... have fun and be safe Donnie Brown...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

I went to my first Petit Jean when I was a teenager. Still going at 60. Weather permitting Mike Walker, myself and some others will drive our T's from Fayetteville on Wednesday and will be in space H24 and 25. Stop by if you are there and visit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

I forgot to mention, Im in spaces K5 and K6. I have been going for 36 years. Stop by and say Hi. If Im not there (I stay gone a lot) call my cell number posted on the big sign. Ill come back to the spaces ... :-) :-) or Ill be the old guy riding the little Honda 70 motorcycle. They let us get away with the bikes till sometime on Thursday and they stop all riding on Friday and Saturday.... except for handicap approved equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, June 10, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

The weather forecast looks good so far, so we will be driving our T's from Fayetteville to PJ on Wednesday. Just look for the T's, and stop by to say howdy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:40 am:

Mike must be looking at a different forecast than I am... I am trying to decide between taking the 26 coupe that is sort of weather proof or the 14 Touring that never was but would be my first choice to drive. What the heck I have been wet before and did not melt. Two years ago we got caught in a frog strangling downpour on the way back to Fayetteville. This is not the first, or second, time this has happened. I can remember pulling over and deploying 2 umbrellas to try to keep dry inside of a Touring car that did not have side curtains. Mike and I pulled into a covered gas station to put up the tops and side curtains but we, and the contents of our cars were thoroughly soaked. One of the pleasures of living life in the slow lane that you cannot sell to most of today's young people or female members of your family. I would not want to live life without them! By the way umbrellas do not work very well at keeping horizontal rain out of a T and could cause damage to your paint job...
YMMV
(Message edited by paulmikeska on June 11, 2016)

(Message edited by paulmikeska on June 11, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:55 am:

Try this:

https://www.wunderground.com/us/ar/petit-jean-park

Less than 50% Wed thru Sat. We might get wet coming home on Sun, but we're used to that. :-)

Here's Fayetteville:

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/AR/Fayetteville.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Most of us know Petitt Jean swap meet can be anything from beautiful weather, to full blown hurricane/cyclones. or all of the above on the same day ... The old saying about Arkansas weather is "if you do not like the weather, wait a couple hours and it will change"... I pulled my camper up today. About 9 vendors set up and selling. about that many more not set up and not selling, and a few more just dropping off trailers or campers. Met a few more on the road as I was going back home. I forgot my equalizer hitch bars at the swap meet site. Will have to make a "dead run" tomorrow to get them and be ready to haul all the parts up Monday... There is no way I would attempt to pull that trailer and all its tonnage up that mountain without the bars ... :-( :-( Oh well, "old timers" strikes again ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:28 pm:

Any time I see "Petit Jean," I flash back to my four years in Jacksonville AR at Little Rock AFB. It was while I was there that Winthrop Rockefeller started the car museum and about a year later became governor. A year or so after that, Orval Faubus was at the Officers' Club and I shook his hand. Ain't history grand? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Dick,
I to remember visiting Governor Winthrop Rockerfeler's museum as a small boy on a family vacation. I especially remember a big (seemed huge) maroon Marmon touring car, and thinking that would be the best car in the world to own. It was probably the mid to late sixties....

Someday I hope to join Mike, Paul and the rest at the swap meet. It sounds like a great way to spend a few days talking old cars......

I hope the weather cooperates for all those attending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

I was toying with the idea of driving down by Model T, but I don't have the new wheels on it yet so I'll be traveling in the Camry Motel. The weather forecast shows a 40% chance of thunderstorms on Friday, but we'll hope for no gully washer this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Steve, the forecast has changed daily, and the percentage is 40% now for Friday, it was 80% a few days ago. But one thing I have noticed is the forecasts are predicting PM rain chances. So maybe it will just rain at night. Saturday looks real good and the rest of the week looks like the normal small chance of afternoon/PM heating showers that pop up and move quickly. They are usually just a single cloud type of thing. I have actually seen it rain on one side of the gravel road we lived on, with water running down the ditch, and our side of the road not get one drop of rain ... see ya'll there ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 08:33 am:

Rob and Dick. Here is my story of meeting Governor Rockefeller. Sometime in the 60s when I was a kid we were camping at the park. My dad was a boilermaker and he was working on building the new boiler at the paper mill near Morriliton. There was a friend of mine whose dad also was a boilermaker, and his family was also camping at the park with us. We were both about 9 or 10 years old. One day me and my friend were fishing in the lake and there was this dummy in a speed boat skiing in the lake. The lake is a really small lake and he was constantly in a turn and coming by our fishing spot over and over. One time as the dummy passed us, my friend said "watch this" He cast his line out with a triple hook "broken back Rebel lure" He did not mean too, but it caught the "dummy" right behind his right ear and all three hooks just buried themselves in his head and neck. I can still see in my mind a picture of the "dummy" being jerked off his skies as the line got tight. Well it turned out that the "dummy" was Rockefellers grandson. We had quite a show as a Park Ranger arrived, and then a ambulance arrived, Then my dad and my friends dad arrived, then a "Leer Jet" landed at the Rockefeller's personal airport runway across the lake, Then a big, very long black car arrived. And out steps Governor Rockefeller. The only thing I remember Governor Rockefeller saying is "damn fool kid should not have been skiing in the lake in the first place". They cut the hooks off with a pair of my dads pliers, they had poured some red iodine on the "dummys" wounds, that really made him look like my friend almost tore the "dummys" head off. That is one of the sights and sounds that stay with a person for life. .... All this took place in about a 2 hour time period. Today it would have been so different. You would have had CNN, Fox, and everyone else there filming the event. Lawyers would have been fighting to get to the "scene of the crime" but I remember Dad and my friends dad just talking and visiting with Governor Rockefeller, talking about fishing and farming and such. Then they loaded the "dummy" in the big black car and left.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration