WWI Aviator Goggles - Restoration

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: WWI Aviator Goggles - Restoration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 03:47 am:

I have two pair of WWI vintage aviator goggles that I'd like to have restored. The old leather and surrounding material has become brittle and fragile with age. Does anyone have a source that can restore these to original condition?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:09 am:

I did search but came up empty, however I remember a post by Richard Eagle(?) who restored a pair of aviator goggles. They came out quite well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Gary you are correct that Richard had posted a link but he actually made a new new set of goggles. See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/607453.html?1453771714

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:27 am:

I would think restoration is something you could do yourself.

There is a Tandy Leather store in Enon, OH. How close is that to you? (Our local Tandy has a "scrap box" for extra deep discounts for smaller pieces of leather.)

I would think that flocking material, thin canvas and elastic ribbon can bought at your local fabric store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:13 am:

There is great satisfaction in doing these things yourself. They don't have to be perfect to be enjoyed. If you are looking for someone else to do it I would think a creative upholsterer would be able to handle it. Someone at a shoe shop also might be good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Thank you Hap, that was the link I was searching for. Something about old(er) age and memory :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration