This is gonna be a crazy week

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: This is gonna be a crazy week
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Today (June 11) I turn 66 years old.

Tomorrow is Model T Reunion in Farmington Mn.

Monday work on speedster.

Tuesday I receive a bronze star medal with Oak Leaf Cluster that wasn't awarded while in Vietnam. 45 years late.

Wednesday & Thursday rest and work on Model T's.

Friday root canal

Saturday Model T Ford Club tour or Car Show at the V.A. Medical Center.

Sunday day of rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Crap, I forgot to mark it OT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

You got it covered, "work on speedster"! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

Model Ts are mentioned - directly or indirectly - four times. As Mark noted, you're covered.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Happy birthday Michael !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Michael,
Happy Birthday! Thank you for your service too. Maybe we'll see you during New London to New Brighton,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Happy Birthday, and CONGRATS on the Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster! There are way too many that have gone unrecognized for far too long. Yet, there are those who don't realize the real reason for being there....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

Thank you everyone. Rob, I'm sure going to try to intercept you guys in Kingston. It's one of the summer highlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Happy Birthday and enjoy your week and your well deserved medal! Sorry about the root canal. Thank you for your service too Mike. You all deserve a pat on the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 04:13 pm:

In case I missed it, please tell us about your medal and citation for outstanding service.
The medal is nice. The backstory is what makes it meaningful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

DITTO to Burger's posting, congradulations on your medal, USMC Viet Nam 67' Semper Fi Brother

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 04:35 pm:

Congrats Mike,and Happy Birthday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

When I was overseas in 1971 I ended up in a "gypsy" unit hauling frieght from January to April for Operation Lam Son 719/Dewey Canyon 2. We hauled a lot of powder and HE artillery rounds up and down Highway 9 between Dong Ha and Khe Sanh.

During our time on the DMZ while on the road we became involved with a lot of ambushes receiving small arms, RPG's and .51 caliber fire. If we stayed on the LZ we were hit with a lot of mortar and rocket rounds. It seemed like we couldn't dodge the crap and this was North Vietnamese Army incoming.

One day on a trip up to Khe Sanh we got hit hard with RPG's. I heard some small arms fire as well. There's a snap that you can hear when a round is going by at a few thousand feet per second. One of the guys in the rig in front of me took an RPG into the passenger side door of his truck blowing him out the other side. He was hit pretty hard and his hand was shot to hell. By the time I got up to where he was, his truck had gone off the road and smashed into a ditch bank. The back of his truck was blocking the road and it would be impossible for the rest of the convoy to get around it.

In order for me to get out of there I had to stop, kick my passenger side door open and drag him into my cab. Then I put the front of my truck against the rear tandem on his and pushed it around out of the way. Then we got the heck out of there. When we got up to Khe Sanh I took him to the medics and dropped him off. I heard later that he'd received a Purple Heart as did the truck immediately behind me. The guy in the 2nd truck behind me was killed. By the time the gun trucks and APC's got into the zone the NVA had done their damage and were gone.

A few weeks later I was approached by my CO, Captain House, and was told I was going to receive a bronze star. I had been put in for a bronze star with a V for Valor but after our unit stood down and broke up I was awarded a bronze star but without the V.

A couple months later, the 23rd Infantry Division was standing down and all our equipment was being moved up to Danang. As part of the move we pulled some hard hours running as much as 48 hours nonstop. During the stand down I hauled many loads of retrograde through some pretty miserable conditions without too many breaks. While the rest of the company was hauling a lot of re-supply to the different LZ's around our division areas a couple other guys and myself ran day and night moving the Division out of Chu Lia.

As I was clearing post at the end of my tour, I was handed a set of orders for a bronze star with oak leaf cluster. But though I was handed the order for it I was never awarded the medal and it didn't show up on my DD214. The guy that signed my clearance papers said it was for my contribution to the move. Though we had some bad times during the move, I took it on as nothing more than my job. Apparently others thought I'd done a good job and had put me in for a bronze star with oak leaf cluster.

So move ahead over 40 years and I mentioned to my County Service Officer that I still had the order for the second bronze star but it hadn't been added to my. DD214. She wrote a letter to the folks in charge of such things and the next thing I know, I'm going to be awarded the bronze star with oak leaf cluster at the Morrison County Courthose in Little Falls, MN on June 14th at 8:30 AM.

I truly believe that with that bronze star and a five dollar bill, I should be able to buy a beer from any bar in the area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Good intel, Garrison.

One thing that impressed me most about my time with the USMC was the standing belief
and core value that a good Marine will always take care of his men. That can mean a lot of
things in a lot of situations, but I never saw that gone against in my three years in. My own
upline crapped all over us, but the USMC never let me down.

Sounds like your upline dropped the ball, and that is shameful. If you are ever in my AO,
you present that Bronze Star and I'll provide the $5 for that beer.

Duty above all else, except Honor, Sir. Semper Fi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

Mike, congratulations on the long overdue recognition. And I'll buy you that beer, and a few more, this summer if the opportunity presents itself. Well done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Mike,

How appropriate that you will receive this long delayed recognition on Flag Day. Thank you for your service.

Evan in Paso Robles

P.S. From your description of your actions for the first Bronze Star you should have the "V" on the ribbon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Glad to hear you are receiving the recognition you so truly earned. To bad you aren't receiving it a day later. If you were I would have my dad be there. He lives in Little Falls. Currently he is at his Navy ship reunion in Florida.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 02:11 am:

Sorry that I am late to this thread. Been on the road most of the day (nothing compared to what you went through!)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! (Belated though it may be :-( )

Congratulations and a WELL DONE on the medal. You deserve it.

I do not drink, and never beer. But I would be glad to buy you one any day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:26 am:

Michael; Happy Birthday! You made it! As far as the award being 45 years late.... What do you expect of the Government, Efficiency? Congrats on surviving and keeping your mind in one piece.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:37 am:

Michael,

Happy Birthday. Have fun with the Ts and thank you for your service!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:12 am:

I can not express enough my appreciation for your service and dedication to serve your country. I salute you, sir. It was a horrible chapter in our history to treat Veterans so badly after their service in Viet Nam.

I would be honored to buy you a beer and the best damn steak dinner, anytime you happen by my neck of the world near Seattle. The offer is open ended and I'll leave the light on for you.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 12:26 am:

Good luck on all fronts Mike.
Pity your service to our Country wasn't recognized a LONG time ago.......but better late than never.

BTW.......this is about my 92 year young great uncle........ :-)

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/Stevens-Point-Veterans-Treated-to-Flight-of-a -Lifetime--306371691.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:16 am:

Thank you everyone. I appreciate your well wishes.

Craig, my Dad was a WW2 veteran. My brother and a couple cousins spent time in Vietnam and came home with Purple Hearts. I was with my childhood friend within a couple hours after he lost his leg to a booby trap. These were the heroes of my era.

Guys like my Dad and your great uncle left this country not knowing when or if they were going to come back home. They ended up in places like New Guinea or on Utah Beach and they gave every bit of themselves to this country.

I've got a nephew that's been in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan and I've heard he's headed into some god forsaken hole in Africa. I pray every day for his safety.

And this fall, we'll all sit in our recliners and watch the Packers kick the crap out of the Bears or the Vikings and just maybe remember how important it was for those who went before us to make these sacrifices. God bless America.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration