Anti theft device

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anti theft device
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fraser on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

I have a anti theft device that fits between the carb and the intake manifold. It is all brass and has a butterfly that flips up not allowing the fuel to go onto the intake manifold. it has a key that operated the butterfly. The only thing on it to is a pat 1926 can any one tell me anything about this. I just put it on my 13 delivery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

I'm curious to see it. Do you have any pictures you can post?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Anti-theft device ???

I leave the key in mine and if anyone could even drive it, I guess they are going to make off with it.

Of course, I can run faster than it can, so they better get a good head start. If I catch up to them ,
things are going to get real fun, real fast ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

I'm with Burger on this . I never worry about someone stealing my T. They'd need to know how to start it and drive it. No danger. Most of the time I can hardly start the damn thing myself.

The thefts that I've heard about are typically situations where a T was in a trailer that was stolen. You're gizmo is of little use in that situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

I'm more concerned with the key falling out and losing it, so I never remove it. If a potential thief looks in, and sees three pedals and a lever, what are they going to do anyway?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

I'm with Rob, and others on this, i only remove the key when i take the trans cover off. I would love to see some article or stats from back in the day about the percentage of car thefts. We all remember what happened to someone who stole your horse. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

When I pull the key, it's because I worry more about someone stealing the key than stealing the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

The main thing I worry about is somebody stealing my side and tail lights. The only thing holding them on is a set screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:19 am:

I agree with Derek Kiefer. The key stays in my T's switch unless I'm leaving it in a public place where some idiot might swipe the key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

William - If anyone knows without seeing pictures it'll be Jay. Hopefully he sees this post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

I don't think the OP has worries due to theft. He has a cool period accessory and simply wants info on it. Of course, I could be wrong

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 08:24 am:

I know I would like to see it. I've never heard of a locking choke mechanism to prevent theft. Sounds interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:41 am:

I also have an anti theft devise that came on my 1911. If came out of the factory installed. It is mounted just below the steering wheel. All you have to do to activate the unit is pull down on the left lever and have a doctor standing by. Bad things happen to bad people. I do shut my fuel off. Not going far on the float bowl.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Here's a photo of my carburetor anti-theft device - you push the spring loaded plunger on the right to close the butterfly and turn the key to open it. The key can only be removed in the locked position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:33 am:

I was right. That is interesting. A little sneakier than a wheel lock, that's for sure. Thanks for posting it, Steve. I hope somebody can help identify it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:48 am:

Very cool:-) My only question is who would want to open their hood whenever they parked and reach into a dirty engine bay to activate it. That may be we don't see many of them. Great idea though:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 11:26 am:

I open my hood just near every time I stop/park to shut off the gas - don't trust some of the "vintage" technology - and my engine bay is far from "dirty" on any of my T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

The way it's made, the key would be easily accessible without getting near "dirty" parts. Very clever piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Steve; I was thinking of back in the day when a Model T was just a cheap car before guys like us took up the hobby of pampering the daylights out of our cars. :-) My understanding was back in the late 20's and early thirties if you wanted to insure your car you had to install an approved anti theft device. At that time period I do believe most engine bays would have been dirty (at least by today's standards) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 02:01 pm:

Good point, G.R. !

Our Centerdoor still has it's original engine pans so it's relatively clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

I leave the keys in mine but I expect anyone who could drive it wouldn't take it. It doesn't have 27inch rims and a booming stereo so the others don't give it a second look. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

I was at a car show a couple years ago when some fat kid came walking by and blew the horn. He thought the oogah was neat. Then the little idiot reached over and gave the key a twist and I'll be darned if I didn't get a "free start"! Of course this wouldn't have been that big a deal if my hand brake held on that car. But it didn't. And the car started and gave a little jump and died. Now, when I leave the speedster any where, I try to remember to put the key in my pocket.

Running boards to jump on, horns to honk and switches on the dash are targets for little kids of people whoare too damn stupid to teach thei kid to leave things alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:13 pm:

Mr. Berger......LOL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

This Thread is hilarious!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Very cool accessory Steve!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration