OT - Way off topic, I'll be off the forum for a while, for a good reason.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Way off topic, I'll be off the forum for a while, for a good reason.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Last winter I posted a thread about our now 16 year old daughter going to a basketball tournament in Europe. Early Monday we fly to Munich. Anna joins her teammates in New York, and My wife and I join them for a tour of Dachau and then spend the day in Munich. From there, on to Austria, where she will play in an international tournament with 16 (age) and under teams from throughout Europe in the Student Athlete World Games. Following the games, another sight seeing trip to Italy before returning to the States.

Another forum member mentioned once that this forum isn't Facebook. However, I don't do Facebook or other social media. This forum and The Early Ford forum are it, so you're stuck with proud dad threads once in a while........ :-)

Thursday Anna had a big basketball day. She played four games with her high school team at a practice summer camp. Her team played other teams they will compete against next winter, and won all four games. I watched a few games and then drove her to her two hour club ball practice 100 miles from the camp. After that, she had an hour of private practice with a well known Omaha high school coach. I bet she slept well that night.

Below is a video I made of a few iPhone clips of her day. Thank you for bearing with me.......

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9rr3umfo9ooq28/Video%20Jun%2010%2C%2011%2019%2042%20PM.mov?dl=0

Look at the bright side, probably no kids or K's for a few weeks....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:56 pm:

Good for you.

What's the draw for you to Dachau ? I have made a point to visit many of the camps when in Europe.
It takes a special kind of person to find meaning in places like that. I think most people would rather go
to Disneyland.

Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:58 pm:

You will be missed! Be careful!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Rob, That's Great!!!

Hope you and the family have a wonderful trip. German beer (bier) ist goot. :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Burger, my first time to Dachau was while on Reforger (return of forces to Germany). As a young LT, the camp left a lasting impression on me. The wife and I again visited five years ago on a trip. The visit to the death camp made an impact on her too. It will be interesting to learn how my daughter comes away from the camp.

Bud and Keith, thank you. As we said in the day.... eins bier, bitte (or swei, or drei...).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

Rob,

You have much to proud about and thankful for. Wishing you safe travels, a grand time, and your daughter continued success.

By the way if you post a photo of Elianna in a Ford it's not even off topic.

Dachau was a horrible place. But I've noted over the years that Germany in the late 1930s to 1945 had some people that were very evil such as Hitler. And at the same time Germany had some people who stood against the tide of evil such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer. No matter where we are, we have choices we can make. To try and make things better or try to make them worse. It looks like you have been making the right choices with your family -- keep up the great work!

Godspeed,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

Rob, great but I can't get over your daughter having talent must be from her mother.We know that you will have some secret Model k business tacked on somewhere. My son Bruce left today Sunday for Paris & he is off to Lemans next weekend to watch the new Ford GT's go by. Keep your eye out for a camper van on the wrong side of the road. Regards Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

There's something extra special in watching your kids excel in athletics .
Rob watching your daughter apply the discipline and dedication to her sport gives us faith that our world will continue on in some very capable hands. Congratulations
to your family and especially her for her success.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

Hap, thank you.

And you're right, I can bring this somewhat back on topic. This is the daughter who reluctantly drove out K touring when she was 14:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HK8o0QrqI&feature=em-upload_owner

And was much more interested in driving the K roadster at 15:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e-HK8o0QrqI&feature=em-upload_owner

How many young people can say they drove a Ford Model K touring and roadster before they were 16?

OK, Edsel could.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Doug,
Just saw your post. Wouldn't that be something if a Nebraskan and Aussie crossed paths in Germany? Stranger things have happened......

Mike,
Thank you. See you in a few on months in Kingston. Are you aware of our safety stop outside Buffalo too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Oops, I put the wrong link in for the first video.

Driving the touring at 14:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Isa24YplE&feature=youtu.be

(Message edited by Rob on June 11, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

Rob, I know you guys stop in Buffalo but when you leave, we all get in our T's and head North. A favorite stop on our way back North has been Pearl Lake Lodge in Marty. Great food! It'll be interesting to see if y'all come into Kingston this year through the back door. Doggone it, now I'm getting excited to go touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Mike,
Last year we were moving so fast we passed the cars sent to mark the route and came into Kingston from the back door. This year we expect 3 Model k, so if you want us to meet in Minneapolis or any other place, just let us know. The NRS will be there too........

We're so damn cocky.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:11 am:

Rob and fam. ,Do you pass the Netherlands ???????????
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Have a safe, enjoyable trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:12 am:

Very happy for you, enjoy doing things with your daughter. Time goes by too fast. Next week we leave for a mostly 1 & 2 Cylinder tour in a farming area (No Traffic) in northern Calif. Our 15 year old grandson who just started driving is going with us and I plan on getting him behind the wheel of our 1910 2 cylinder REO. Our REO came from O'neal Nebraska.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:45 am:

Among the most wonderful things in life. With a little encouragement, and guidance, watching our children excel in ways that we could not quite achieve ourselves.

Fantastic, Rob! Safe journeys, and enjoy the trip.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Ryan on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:19 am:

Have a great time. She is good to be invited by that team.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 08:44 am:

You have a very special family, Rob. You're a lucky guy. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:25 am:

WOW! She's good! And only going to be a Junior in HS! But I am wondering why would you ever leave a shooter that hot, uncovered anywhere on the floor. Playing a zone defense is just inviting her to kill you from the outside. Somebody is going to offer Elianna a full ride scholarship to someplace. Go ahead and spend that college money on your cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Best wishes and good luck to your daughter and her team mates. You have every right to brag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Rob, As Trish is still our gal from Lang,s your girls are part of the T family. We have watched them grow up into the fine young ladies they are and it warms our hearts to see them excel. You have exposed the K into a new light for all to see. So you and your family fit in like Royce, Steve Jelf and a long list of great T folks. Everybody,s stories and pictures fill in the real life of this forum and bring it to life. Please keep the pictures and stories coming from everyone. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:49 am:

Thank you guys........

Toon, no Netherlands on this trip. I've travelled to a few countries in Europe, however the northern portion is on our bucket list for a future trip.

Les, did you buy your REO at the Cleveland sale? I was there, a lot of great cars left Nebraska from that auction.

Kevin, I doubt she will get a D-1 scholarship (although that's her dream). Her gene pool is a little shallow (short on height). She needs to work on speed, conditioning and a few other areas. I really like her ability to see and attack defenses. As a result she is able to make some amazing passes.

The reason teams play zone is because she has a couple of teammates inside who are big, athletic girls and most teams aren't able to match up one on one. Add to that Anna and the other guard are good at seeing open players and passing inside and I think this team will be a lot of fun to watch (and hard to defense.

She is playing up this year (High School) on a Class B team (NE second largest class) and they play tough schedule, so it should be a fun year.

In Omaha now, flying to New York. From there, on to Munchen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:12 am:

From the "old country."

The Hofbrauhaus in Munchich, Germany:

My daughter (tochtor) has the white sweatshirt and blond ponytail. Miene Frau at the back:

Daughter with some of her teammates inside the famous beer hall:

A brief sample of the entertainment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbpltls1t62nfji/Video%20Jun%2014%2C%201%2013%2003%20PM.mov?dl=0

Now we're in Austria, and the girls are having their second practice "in country." The site of the games:

Players stadium. Coach, daughter and a few teammates:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration