And Now for the Third Generation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: And Now for the Third Generation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:13 am:

Tomorrow, my son, John, and I will be competing in the Santa Clara Valley club's 47th annual Endurance.

John turned 16 in April and will be the driver in this year's event. By dong so, John will be the third generation in my family to drive our speedster in the Endurance Run .

My grandfather built #42 in '71/'72. He and I entered the endurance run in '73 when I was 10 and competed regularly for the remainder of '70s.

After a few runs in the early '80s, the car sat until 2010. My son, John, turned 10 that year so I dusted off the years and got the speedster ready roll. We ran in 2010 and 2011.

Now we are back with the Third Generation in the Magee family behind the wheel. I think that is pretty cool and wish "Pa" was still around to see it!

If any Forum members are attending the Run, stop by and say "Hi". We are #142 for the event.

Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:47 am:

Like. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:15 am:

That is very special. Hope he keeps the interest in old cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 03:22 am:

Good luck tomorrow (today) and have a safe and wonderful time! I will be thinking about all of you all day.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:05 am:

Tom,

That's great! Have a great time and good luck.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Hi All and thanks for the kind words.

We did the Run and John won the youngest driver award. That is the first trophy my family has ever brought home for the event!

The run was really nice. Not as challenging as previous years but that worked our advantage. John gained a ton of experience driving through hills and city traffic. He is now totally hooked on Model Ts which was the goal.

Hats off to the Santa Clara club for another great event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Fantastic ! Have fun and be safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Thanks, Royce.

Safety is key. The great thing about teaching a kid to drive a T is the major emphasis on paying attention to what is going on around you and what is going on with the car. With a T, you actually have to operate a piece of equipment that requires constant attention if you want to drive safely. I keep telling my son that if you can learn to operate and drive a Model T with confidence and safety, you will be an excellent driver in any car.

By mastering driving a T, you will have learned to not tailgate, watch what other drivers are doing, anticipate red lights, allow for plenty of braking space, don't drive to fast, etc. In other words you will have learned how to DRIVE a car as opposed to what ever the hell it is the vast majority of people do.

It was indeed fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

My son told me he wants to come over and learn how to drive the speedster. We're looking for the right opportunity. Will he become an enthusiast? Probably not, but he's gonna end up with my T's when I'm gone. It'll be nice if he's familiar with them. And who knows, just maybe he'll become infected with the bug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Fantastic to have a third generation involved. I drove my Dad's Model T in high gear for the first time on a National Tour in 1983. I was 14 years old. This year my son will drive my Model T in high gear for the first time. I have been saving the occasion as he will be 14 years old and it will also be a National Tour.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration