" is that your antique car? ... it's on fire"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: " is that your antique car? ... it's on fire"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 08:46 am:

I was out and about in the T yesterday and stopped at a local 7-11. While I was standing in line at the check out a guy came up to me and asked "it that your antique car?" I said yes. Then he calmly said "it's on fire."

I ran for the the door and he said ... "just kidding man" I was dumbfounded that anyone would do something so horrible.

Back when I was in high school (1973) I had a 1929 model A Ford that was set afire by someone when I drove it to a football game. I remember being in the bleachers when I heard the announcer say "Mark Osterman .. go to your car immediately .. it's on fire." Evidently someone tossed a lit cigarette in the window. By the time I got there, firemen were ripping the seats out of the car and hosing it down. The roof was melted and much of the paint on the doors and side burnt off. Interestingly .. we put the soggy burnt seats back in the car and drove it home, but it needed hundreds of dollars and lots of time to fix.

So having someone tell me my T was in fire yesterday brought back some pretty horrible memories. I'm still a little shaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Some people are stupid. I'd have a hard time not punching him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:02 am:

I would only do that with someone I know, but that's me. Call me weird, but I'll show people respect and kindness. At least until I get to know them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Yeh, not too smart really. Good way to cause someone to have a coronary. Myself, I've had off and on spats of atrial fib since '92, a statement like that would definitely send me to the ER.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Maybe it was the same guy that thru the cig in the A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:01 am:

Some years back my wife and I were on a day tour with our 1909 Stoddard Dayton touring. We had stopped for lunch and inside the restaurant.

A guy walked in and asked if that old car was ours. We responded "yes", thinking he wanted to ask a question. Instead he said matter of factly, your dog has jumped out and is hanging it self on its collar.

I of course ran out to check and she was just fine sleeping in the back seat. I walked back in and the guy thought he had played the greatest joke, and laughed. I was all I could do not to just deck the bastard.

Just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:25 pm:

Kinda makes you want to play out this scene from "Deal of the century"
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=movie+deal+of+the+centry+stars&view=detail& mid=7B1839280033EF0DD4677B1839280033EF0DD467&FORM=VIRE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

Simple minds.

When we hear the phrase "All men are created equal", we forget that there was more .... "in the eyes of the law".

All men are not created equal. The mistake is with those who think they are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:16 pm:

Right Burger, they think they are more equal than others.
Some folks have to work at being a horses rear end, for some it comes natural.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Idiots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

I would have taken that guy to the ground and beat him until he was asleep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

Sick people.

I thought we were about to have a Stanley story. I have a lovely book The Story of a Stanley Steamer by George Woodbury dated 1950 (much sought after by steam people, pick it up if you get a chance).

In it he tells the story of his wife driving down their local Main Street (back in the day when your wife would routinely take the old car to go shopping) when she found herself being pursued by the local fire brigade with full bells and sirens going.

Seems sometimes a little kerosene would pool under the burner and you could see flames, the trick being to keep driving and it would burn itself out. The fire brigade pulled her over and no amount of protestation would stop them totally dousing the vehicle and leaving her stranding until he came out to strip and clean it all out, so he could set fire to it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 08:00 pm:

Jem - stupidity is rampant

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Jem,
I can't find my copy--it's in a box somewhere around here, but isn't that the book where he talks about setting up a water powered planer that self-destructs when he finally starts it up? Great book too! (yeah, I have most of the steam car books! I also got that one at the surplus library book sale!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:31 pm:

I just ordered his previous book off Amazon, about restoring a sawmill, which is where the planer story originated - John Goffe's Mill. I love the way he tells a story. Woodbury was an archaeology professor who gave up his job to restore his grandfather's sawmill. Then got the steam bug and restored a Stanley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Yep, it's been years since I read the book, but it was great reading. The amazing thing is all the "old hands" that were still around when he did his restoration. I MAY have the Mill book, I forget!!
Once you get the steam bug, it seldom goes away.
There's a gentleman from New Hampshire who wrote a neat book on his restoration adventures, including a Stanley. He does start out with a Model T!
Ah, found that book, "Stanley Steamer Tales" of a Novice Steam Car Owner, by Dr. Thomas W. Dawson.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration