Installing new brake cams

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Installing new brake cams
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 08:56 am:

I have new brake cams and new levers. How are the pins secured when installing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:08 am:

With a rivet gun and a bucking bar. Or you can have one person hold the cam from turning, and hold a bucking bar under the head of the rivet, while you use a hammer and punch to swage the buck tail of the rivet.

Rivet gun and sets:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:15 am:

I was able to squeeze my new brake lever pins tight with a pair of hefty vise-grips. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Make sure the cams are in the right position of course before you install the pins and secure them.
Carefully tap in the pin until you have the same amount protruding from both sides of the lever.

Get a small steel block of some sort to use as a back up and brad down one side. Then place the block on the braded side and do the other side the same way. I used a small ball pen hammer brad to down the pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By King Martin on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:51 am:

Take a torch heat ends of pins red and then using a dolly or ballpeen hammer as a back up, peen the heated end down with a second hammer. Flip over and do the other side. A process that is faster to do than to describe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Thanks for the helpful ideas. Not having the riveting tools I will try one of the other suggestions. I am curious about John Kuehn's comment. I think I have figured out how the cams should be positioned but am not sure. Is there someway to make sure. I know there is a left and right cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

The brake arm should be angled to the rear of the car when its cam is horizontal, see attached pics that I took during installation of my AC brakes.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

I just riveted a set of those two weeks ago. The new shafts are too tight in the bronze bushings. Had to ream one of the bushings.

Funny thing, that rear axle has AC brakes just like Mark's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Thanks Mark, great pictures. They show it very clearly. I also intend to add AC brakes before I put the body back on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration