Early exhaust pipe question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Early exhaust pipe question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Does anyone make a reproduction early exhaust pipe with the right OD to fit inside an early exhaust manifold? The type of manifold I am referring to is the style where the pipe inserts into the manifold itself, not the type with the bevel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:03 am:

Go to your local muffler shop. They can make any thing u want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Nobody makes a reproduction that's worth 2 cents! I even borrowed a repo that was new and made 40 years ago and it was bent wrong and had kinks at every bend and offset. I ended up at a friends shop that does commercial ornamental iron work and he helped me make one on a jig he forms handrails for building stairways. Came out great! Try and find a shop in your area that does that kind of work & be sure to buy a good quality heavy wall tubing so it doesn't kink. Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:44 pm:

Muffler shops bend tubing with an hydraulic bender that has shoes to fit different size tubing. The problem is that the shoes can not be placed close enough to another bend to get the shape needed for an early T pipe. That carries over to most reproductions because nobody wants to invest in a large die to stamp the double curve shape as Ford made it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 04:00 pm:

Larry Smith has said that his run of early pipes will include a small number of EARLY early pipes to be used with the earliest manifolds. I believe they have already been made; I'd contact Larry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 04:12 pm:

What is the early year span Larry is making the pipes for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Thanks folks. RV, excellent suggestion. I'll contact Larry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Richard:
I had three early pipes made. I don't know if I still have any. I'll have to look, but they may have all been sold. I have plenty of the '13-20 pipes however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Larry, what's the difference in the pipes you make versus the ones out of langs or macs? I've never seen an original so I have no idea. Also, may I ask what your 13 to 20 pipes cost?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:54 am:

The pipes I have are patterned from the originals. The ones that are commonly sold are just made to work, and are not mandrel bent as the originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Benjamin,
Larry's pipes look just like an original (well, except there is little to no rust!)and fit just like the originals. In the words of a famous TV star, "They're GREEEEAT!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

David, I will have to inquire about one then for my 1913 touring build I have posted about. Is there any picture floating around with a side by side comparison of the repop from say macs, to Larry's pipe? I've never seen an original pipe regardless of the year, so I'm not sure what the differences are. Just looking to be edjumacated on the subject of exhaust pipes :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration