Question about new Anderson timers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question about new Anderson timers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 08:33 pm:

Are the new Anderson timers that Lang's (and others) sell well made? I would like to purchase one and wanted to get some feedback on them or find out if there is someone else that is best to purchase ANCO timers from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

The one that Lang's sells work fine, but if you plan on putting miles on the car, you just can't beat the new brush style timer made by TW Timers. The major vendors are carrying it now. Lang's is wonderful, as is Snyders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:09 am:

I am just willing to tell the experience we had yesterday with an Anderson timer.

First you need to know that the timer is on a right hand driven car and is mounted up side down to make it work right with the ignition timing lever. To get it to full advance, the lever is pulled down and the rod is nearly in line with the center of the timer.

Yesterday, during a parking manoeuvre, the driver stall the engine. As there were more as 20 people watching her back up skill, she forgot to set the ignition lever back to retard to restart the engine and it back fired very hard. She started again and the engine was only misfiring and no way to get it running.

When we looked at the timer we found that it was pulled up to the advanced side for about 90, the reason for the misfiring.

But why did this happened? Well it is easy. During the back firing the timer run in the wrong direction. The flapper hooked behind on of the contact points and took the timer with it in the advanced direction.
I wonder if these timers are safe. Here the engine have an electric starter. What will happen when the engine is started with a hand crank ???

Just for what it is worth.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:17 am:

Just will to add this.
This car is running with a 12V battery and is eating bendix springs, one every year.
My two cars are running also on 12V and they have the bendix spring for 8 years now without any problems.
I wonder if the reason for eating the spring could this be the timer???

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:29 am:

Andre', we had the same experience here ,one of our club members nearly broke his hand.So for safety we don't use Anderson timers.
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:19 am:

I have tried several versions of roller timers - original, Tiger, new replicas etc, I've used the TW timer, which looks like it should be good, but I have come back to the Anderson, simply because the car goes better - both subjectively and objectively. We have a hill nearby. My test is to approach at exactly 30mph and then check the minimum speed during the climb. The Anderson is always 2-3mph better.
Yes, you do have to take great care to get the inter-cylinder timing right, and they do need the occasional re-grease. But they work.
I don't know why the TW is less good. Its inter-cylinder timing is not as good as I had presumed, and the brush wears in about 3000 miles.
I should add that I run with good coils set up with a Strobo-Spark.
If you study the Anderson design closely, and make some measurements, I think that the flapper should not be able to 'hook' behind the fixed contact - the flapper is deflected by less than 0.04" as it passes. If the casing is dragged backwards, it is probably friction - maybe lack of grease - which is responsible. If the friction is too great, then as soon as the flapper comes into contact, it will force itself into harder contact, like a brake leading shoe.

As for the Bendix spring with a 12v battery, I think the clue to the answer is in the question. Of course, any timer has to be set so that the spark is just AFTER TDC when fully retarded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris lawrence on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:30 pm:

Is anyone thinking of reproducing the crystal timers? I have one, and its the best no need to touch timer I've ever owned. As for using 12v, I put a bendix spring on the starter between starter and power lead, which drops voltage by about 3v's which works fine with the old 6 v starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

An important thing about using the Anderson timer is to be sure it is centered on the camshaft. The timing gear cover should be centered using the tool which fits into the indentation where the timer runs.

The timing rod should also be adjusted for the proper retarded position with the lever all the way up. And the timing lever should always be at the top when starting the engine.

Never loosen the nuts which hold the terminals. Those control the timing of the individual cylinders.

I have Anderson timers on two of my T's. One was bought about 6 years ago and the other a year ago. Both work very well.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:54 pm:

I'm going to wait on the Anderson timer. I have an original New Day timer but I'm getting a little oil into it. I put a generator brush in it but I wasn't satisfied with how it was performing (possibly due to the oil?). I decided to put in a copper brush and I also noticed that the timer was doing a Hula dance while the engine was running. I made the brush shorter and it is running well and starting very easily. In fact, I started it with the crank which was my first time ever doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 09:30 pm:

The Anderson timer should be retarded before stopping the engine!! Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration