OT calling all old people

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT calling all old people
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

OK this is a bit over the top but I can't help myself tonight!

I am watching the PPS show about the Carpenters and then have to choose between a Simon and Garfunkel or Judy Collens/Smothers Brothers show about folk music.
What is a poor nostalgic guy to do?

No one has come close to the honey sweet voice of Karen Carpenter, the fun of Simon and Garfunkel or the anti establishment of Collens and the Smothers Brothers. - except maybe Bob Dylan or Arlo.

Am I showing my Age?

Did I mention that I saw Judy at Prescott Park in Portsmouth NH a few years ago?
It brought tears to my eyes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Simon and Garfunkel! Although the Smothers are fun. When it comes to Dylan or Guthrie? Any or all three. I still like Woody's music and I think Old Hank had a lot of talent. I loved hearing him cry the blues. Now as far as blues go, Blind Willie McTell had the best voice and his pickin' was second...

Crap, I've strayed haven't I?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Michael. - straying is allowed when we think back to the fantastic music from our past.

I can't help think about my dad's music. - I will have to dig out those old 78 records and find a way to play them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

I'm a sentimental old romantic. _Carpenters all the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

I've got an old 1918 Silvertone phonograph and every once in awhile I'll dig out some harmonicats or Les Paul and Mary Ford, or even some Tennessee Earnie. My oldest 78 is a Jolson recording. It's scratchy but still fun. When ya think about it, there were some pretty good things going on when Grandpa was a kid. One of my favorite photos of Grandpa was of him and 4or 5 of his buddies back in late 1918 goofing around with an old ford sedan. They had empty bottles laying all over on the ground and there was a caption on it that said something about them having all gone in and registered for the draft. They never made it to Europe because the war ended in November. Their music came off old wax cylinders or 78 RPM records. I'd love to be able to sit down with that old man again, over a cup of coffee and just listen to his stories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:30 pm:

I decided to watch Collins/Smothers Brothers folk music.

Barry MaGuire sang the Eve of Destruction.
We are so very close unless we wake up!

There is hope because they closed with a song that reminded us that We are just Americans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Great show although I was surprised that some of that stuff was considered. "Folk music".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

I guess I aint as old as i thought I was.
But I do have my grandmal's windup Edison phonograph in the living room with the records my dad wore out as a kid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

I'm 37 and have that Pandora radio on my phone and I like to.listen to Jimmie Rodgers Cliff Carlisle Hank Sr The Carter Family and all that good old stuff. I step it up to Merle or Willie if someone comes by so I didn't have to hear them gripe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Hey I liked everyone mentioned also Linda Ronstadt...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 01:57 am:

Modern stuff! (Except Corey W mentioned Jimmie Rodgers, so long as he is referring to the original and not the '50s guy). Jimmie Rodgers is my favorite country singer, I have the collectors disc set (okay, I do give in to modern technology) with nearly all his recordings as well as several original 78s from the late '20s and early '30s.
And Michael G mentioned Al Jolson. He was one of the greatest entertainers of all time! Eddie Cantor is another favorite. I could actually name more than a dozen groups or individuals from the '20s that I would think of as favorites (early Louis Armstrong has to be one of the best ever!). That is my favorite era for popular music.

Drifting back to the original post. The only modern musical event I ever went to was the Simon and Garfunkel reunion tour (Old Friends) almost fifteen years ago. Because of work and scheduling conflicts, we drove from Eureka CA to Seattle WA and back, with a stopover for the concert.

Take from that whatever you like.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:03 am:

Karen Carpenter was also considered one of the best drummers in the world. Her brother didn't last 5 minutes after her death. Her story is really sad.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:39 am:

Wayne, I was talking about the organically. I hope people leant hear me yodeling when I'm singing along when I have my headphones on and I'm mowing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:48 am:

My favorite music from the '20's and '30's is Delta Blues. And yeah that includes Robert Johnson!

But I also like To listen to several others. The history is interesting to me. Guys like Son House and Charlie Parker fed themselves by playing their music on street corners and in the old juke joints.

These were the roots of rock and roll and when I hear modern guys like Erik Clapton or Kieth Richards or groups like Canned Heat play their renditions of the old blues songs I enjoy listening.

People lose track of the fact that a lot of the guitar pickers in groups like The Rolling Stones or Aerosmith are very capable blues musicians with some honest talent. It isn't always crap. If you've ever listened to guys like Stevie Ray or Jimmie Vaughan or pickers like Buddy Guy and BB King or John Mayer you can hear the old delta blues players in their music.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 08:07 am:

I have virtually every Simon & Garfunkel and Neil Diamond LP records produced. An LP record? What's that? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 08:18 am:

Fred,
for me, besides the melodies, the best thing about that music is that I can understand the lyrics!

Today's music leaves me puzzled as to what the vocalists are saying....and what little I do hear, I sometimes am happy that I can't understand the rest
:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 08:27 am:

I tried to play the regular FM radio in the shop the other day. After about the 4th song on what is supposed to be a country station, I turned it off. Has to much "rap" in it. Sounds like Crap.
I have satellite radio,got a lifetime subscription while you still could. I hardly use it because the channel I liked was taken off "America" and the 1's on there tend to play the crap I didn't like when it came out and still don't.
I like Waylon, Merle,Johny cash. I also like the Ventures. But if you don't have them on 8 track or record,you don't hear them at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 08:47 am:

Ohhh Fred...

The dreaded CRS must be creeping in...

When you have a dilemma like that, you are supposed to go out to the barn and find this...then you just stay up late (grin)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:12 am:

How about mama Cass

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:23 am:

If you like old cowboy music, listen to Festus from Gunsmoke? Type in Ken Curtis Tumbling Tumble Weed. He will amaze you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Ol top loader vcr!, I have 1 older than that. Has the rotary dial tuners. Magnavox i think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 11:19 am:

You can play the old AM or FM radio, but you will get the modern music, or perhaps what they call "oldies" from the 80's or90's. I have about 1,000 old records.

But, on this machine with the old records you can get anything from the early years of the 20th century up until about 1950.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I still listen to my 8 track tape player. Music does not sound right after it is digitally remastered.

I prefer Joanie Mitchell or John Prine or The Youngbloods over the Carpenters. Also like the original line up of Fleetwood Mac when they had Peter Green. No substitute for the real Mac.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Carpenters, any day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 12:41 pm:

Was fortunate to attend a Neil Diamond concert. It wasn't until he sang "Where the Boys Are" when he revealed he had written it for Connie Francis. Many of them worked together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 01:14 pm:

There's really not too much music that I don't like. However I have favorites. I listen to very few female artists. It all depends on my frame of mind. I can listen to American Headcharge or Slipknot one day and enjoy George Jones or Randy Travis next. But in the end I prefer Delta Blues over the rest. .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:07 am:

I listen to just about anything country up until the 90s. With a few exceptions, that's when country music died. I'm a huge fan of Hag, The Possum, Waylon and Cash. It's hard to beat Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Marty Robbins, and Patsy Cline too. If I get away from country it's more often than not that I'm listening to the old crooners. Rat Pack and the like. I recently got into Jimmie Rodgers and his yodeling railroad songs too.

And just for reference, I'm only 28.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

May I post this?
When she was little, my oldest daughter used my favorite 78's as frisbees. "Barney Google", "I wish I could shimmy like my sister Kate" and "Beale street blues" are now just broken memories for me. That hurt me bad.
And Barney Google was cracked before that!
Royce, you also touch on something interesting about digitized music. The sampling rate on a CD is 40,000 some Hertz but the "depth" (Hertz?) with an analog recording (tape or a record) is such that music can still be "felt" by the listener IF my brother has it square in his noggin. He opines that the emotion of the artists can be felt by the listener.
There is a difference. :-)
Mack, you are so correct about today's hiphopcountry. A work buddy (young man) commented about the hiphopcountry on Facebook after the latest CMA's and he got lots of likes.

Oops. PBS? I missed that show. PBS is about all I'll watch.

My musical tastes are all over the place but I can't listen to "Dead Can't Dance". Ugh, they've already demised. Anyone here ever heard of Conjure One, Delerium, Sleepthief, Balligomingo or Blue Stone? Anyone? Nice music calms the beast within. No matter what kind.
Fred, you started a cascade of notions! That's cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Esik on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

So...did you buy a membership?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 12:20 am:

Duey,
OUCH, those are some fun songs! I have piano rolls of them. Also "What'll We Do on a Dew-Dew-Dewy Day." (sometimes spelled "Dewey" depending on the publisher)
For those who don't know "Sister Kate" it's a novelty song who's basic theme is "I could get all the boys too, if I could shimmy like my sister Kate."
I wore out my Dad's Bluebird 78 of Spike Jones' "Der Fuhrer's Face/I Wanna Go Back to West Virginia" when I was a small lad; it was one of my favorite records! My little sister drove us crazy with "Hot Cross Buns." No ear buds back then! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 12:50 am:

Zieg Heil! Zieg Hiel! (spltt, spltt), right in the (Der) Fuhrers face! Yes? Great song! Really? how do you spell spit? Back to West Virginny?
I don't get those hills. Uck.
Hot Cross buns! I can't sing it at all right now but the memory is just there. I remember the tune. Almost 3 blind mice? WAIT. No.
Damn, I didn't remember ANY lyrics from that Kate and her shimmy record! But I can still see that purplish label without looking.
I still have those broken records.. Oh no. We can get to be that way sometimes...... :-)
From a Duey (Duane) to another (Mr) Dewey, what'll we do on a one of those days when we are most prevalent? :-)
Drive/operate old machines of course. Whether piano or motor-grader........
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Believe it or not, some of my favorite music is Mexican. As an elderly person, I appreciate that it retains qualities lacking from most modern pop music: melody, harmony, and singers who pronounce the words so you know what it's about. Before he retired from touring, I loved going to Vicente Fernandez concerts.

For American and other music, just about anything up through the fifties, from Collins & Harlan to Darlene Edwards, and some from the sixties. For what has happened to American popular music I blame the boomers. They thought A Horse With No Name was music, and it's been downhill ever since.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 02:09 am:

Well, actually it's Heil <razzaberry>! Right in der Fuhrer's face! I think it had more to do with the Spike Jones sound antics than anything--And then I found "Beetle-baum!" (a variation of the William Tell Oveture).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 02:40 am:

My next door neighbor is a private music instructor. She has become used to my music after all
these years, but often commented for the first few about how she never could predict what could
be heard coming from the shop.

Mother Dearest forced the guitar upon me at age 7, and by the time I was 10-11 I was playing in
lame attempts at cover bands. School band introduced me to the drums (they told me a guitar was
not a "real" instrument) and at a time when horns were very big in pop music, my friends and I had
a ball playing together.

I base my musical interest on what I call "artfulness" and "talent required" criteria. Complex and
melodic, layered, syncopated ... many things raise good music above the general schlock dumped
on us by "the industry".

Taking this back to the original post, .... I was doing remodel work at a retirement center here in
town and really enjoyed playing 20's-40's stuff while working, with maybe a little 50's stuff like Nelson
Riddle or Johnny Mathis thrown in. The residents got such a kick out of it and it was a real pleasure
to put those smiles on their faces. They also enjoyed when I would drive the TT to work. The staff
asked me to park it right in the entry, after a resident pointed it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:14 am:

I think that perhaps the best country recording of all time wasn't even a country recording. Vaughan Monroe's GHOST RIDERS IN THE SKY is timeless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:54 am:

My baby done left me
My mule went lame
I lost all my money in a poker game
I got so much trouble
I got so much trouble
I got so much trouble
I'm about to lose my mind

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Burger - It's too late for me.
Mine disappeared many years ago.
I think it left shortly after -- umm I forget now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

John C, How is "Ghost Riders" not a cowboy song? I have heard many versions of the song, all of them I would consider cowboy songs (and among my favorite modern era cowboy songs).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

Youse guys... Up here in 'Sconsin, it's beer, brats, and POLKA's! Whenever there's a song that gets 'stuck in my head' (redundantly), I'll purposely think/tune to "She's too fat for me" by Frankie Yankovic. No judgement allowed, but here's a video with lyrics:
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=she%27s+too+fat+for+me+lyrics&ei=UTF-8&hsp art=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004
Works every time for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

If you can tolerate through the ad, here's a more direct link to the original recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_VwMb8m2M&feature=youtu.be
Remember not to be judgemental!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

LOL. I remember She's too fat for me!

Like you It rattles around in my brain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Sounds like some folks are still 'Lost in the Fifties' going by some of the posts! Surely somebody remembers that song.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 07:37 pm:

It was almost like a song, John. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration