BluePrint NewDay timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: BluePrint NewDay timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:29 am:

Last year I started using my 25 Roadster as my daily driver. Barn fresh motor,roller timer,cast iron pistons.
I decided It should have a vintage high compression head and that is where I opened the can of worms. The starter was too tired for the added compression. Went to install a rebuilt starter but could not get the old one off,no notch in the mag coil. Broke the pickup on the mag coil so I had to replace the mag. While the engine was out I decides to go ahead and install turbo 400 clutch. Well when all re assembled and back in the car It ran like crap on 3 cylinders. #4 exhaust valve was hung up on the head. Stock two piece valves not over sized. Removed the head to make clearance for the valve and found two valves missing pieces. In go a set of stainless valves I had on Hand. Now the stems are too short for the lifters so In go adjustable lifters.
At this point the engine is back in the car and runs good no radiator on. I decided to remove the face plate covering the timing gears to see if I could find the generator pin that was missing.
I found it but also found a large timing gear with terrible looking weld repair. Not trusting the weld I went to replace the timing gear. to my surprise when removing the nut holding the timing gear on the cam moved 3/4 inch forward. Cause early cam with 24-- 27 front cam bearing.
This all happened last year,including my changing to a NewDay timer to try to eliminate some of the missing caused by the roller timer.
This year I got my top and Kevlar bands installed. So
off to Richmond I head. At 144 miles (gross mile marker) the Babbitt on rod #2 failed.
b

I replaced the rod and made it to Richmond in time fore Ice cream the first tour day.
Still running the NewDay but not running as smooth as it should I decided to re work some newday timers.
new

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:48 am:

Did you happen to have a spare rod with you on the run to Richmond? Gotta love a can of worms! Glad you got your ice cream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Sometimes things just don't go the way we would like them to! It appears you have a real '25 pickup. I have one too, and is one of the best T's I own. Never fails to start, and always runs good. It is pretty gutless on hills however with the stock head, but that is where the Ruckstell comes in. BTW, I run a New Day timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Dave, Yes I had several spare rods and one fit. Three hour delay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Does she have a trailer hitch yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:11 am:

Is this the adventure you were posting about on Facebook? I saw some pictures you posted but didn't catch the entire adventure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

Jared, This is the car I have used as a daily driver
2015-2016 Barn fresh chassis and motor. I drove it to Richmond homecoming 1,100 mile round trip.
Yesterday making a run to town to pick up diesel fuel for my air compressor the crankshaft broke & I was able to drive it home.
The timer has given me trouble so I resurfaced the contacts and case on the Lathe sure helped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 08:21 am:

Nice of it to wait until you got home to break, instead of breaking the crank on the way to or from Homecoming! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration