Lift dot fastener threads.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Lift dot fastener threads.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:41 am:

I need to fit two screw in male lift dot fastener pegs to the windscreen pillars on my roadster, but I have no tap of the correct size. What should I be looking for?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:24 am:

Usually screw in fasteners have machine threads, either #6 or #8. You can Google "machine screw" and get dimensions, threads, drill size, and so forth. NC standard on both sizes is 32 threads per inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 08:50 am:

Thanks for your interest David. I thought machine screw sizes too, so I checked them against no 6 and 8 nuts from a hardware shop selection and both of these were finer in thread than the lift dot fasteners. I am beginning to wonder just what these hardware shop lines are.

I have two types of lift dot studs. One is a one piece brass, nickel plated stud with a thread diameter of 0.1635" The second is made of a brass nickel plated stud crimped onto a steel threaded piece of 0.1825" diameter. Both these are 32 TPI as you indicated machine screws are. These are no 6 and 8 are they not?

In puzzlement????
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:20 am:

I'm not totally sure on this, but I don't think Ford used lift the dot products until 1926? Before that common sense fasteners were used, and the screw size used to attach them to the top sockets is a 5-40 thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Allan,

Not knowing what you really have...may not even be to USA Imperial System?

Here is a table of the ASME and UNC/UNF sizes up to 1/2...

Also, the present American Repops of the fastener are a 8-32 stud from the place I get them... (reason for edit was typo on thread size, 8-32 has been verified)

Also, perhaps a little tougher for you...if you are guessing 32TPI an easy way is to take a known 32TPI screw of any diameter, and interlock the threads to your stud and hold up to the light...you see light, you don't have a 32TPI stud on the fastener

(Message edited by george_nj on June 13, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

Larry, these are for my Duncan and Fraser Adelaide built 1925 roadster.
George, The two samples I have are both 32 TPI on my thread gauge set. Going on the diameters of the threads, they look like they are 8 and 10 gauge. Now I need to source a tap.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:35 pm:

Larry, these are for my Duncan and Fraser Adelaide built 1925 roadster.
George, My thread gauge set tells me both are 32TPI. Going on the thread diameters, it looks like they are no 8 and no 10 gauge. Now I need to source a tap or two.
Thanks for your input.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration