Big guy to fit in a "T"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Big guy to fit in a "T"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:39 am:

I'm 6'4" 250#. I would like to have a "T" to drive. I'm looking to see which ones would be best, 1915 -1920 touring,1920-1925 coupe,or possibly a 25-27 touring. I also have big feet, size 16 wide. Is it possible to drive any of these cars comfortably? I would like help an opions before I drive hours to check out these cars. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:56 am:

Tom, you sound like an ideal fit for a Duncan and Fraser wide body roadster like the one I am presently working on. Otherwise, a commercial vehicle may be a better fit than any factory type T. The last van I built had the seat moved back to accommodate a tall driver.
Good luck in your search.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 07:48 am:

Of those choices the 1915 - 20 touring has the most room. I am 6' 5" and 235 lb. I drive my 15 touring a lot with my size 14 feet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 08:31 am:

I'm in agreement with Royce on this one. I'm 6'4", 290 lb., so I take up more space than I should. I fit well in my '14 Touring, which has about the same leg room as any '15-'20 open T.

My '23 Runabout has a little lower seating position that cramps my legs a bit after an hour or so. I think it was in '21 that Ford switched from a round to an oval fuel tank. This change allowed a lower seat, which is a disadvantage to us tall folks.

My father used to have a '22 Coupe (the body style with suicide doors) and it had a very comfortable seating position with ample leg room, as did my '22 Centerdoor. The teens and early twenties closed cars have wider bodies that give a little more shoulder and foot room than the open cars.

On the other hand, I sold a really nice '27 Coupe after owning it for only about six weeks because the leg room was so bad. The '26-'27 open cars are the narrowest of all Ts. I'll never own one. I also find that most hacks and aftermarket bodies have tight quarters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:23 am:

I agree with Eric and Royce on all counts. I'm 6'3" and the T I started with was a '26 touring. I didn't own it for long!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:33 am:

Or you could make something really dandy to accommodate. My good friend Kirk built this for a larger hobbyist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:54 am:

1911 torpedo has additional 6 inches of leg room. the cars without doors feel less cramped also. I am 6'5'' and 275 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 10:14 am:

If your a big guy with big feet adding the reverse pedal higher extension and the brake and slow speed wider extensions will make driving a T a little easier.

If your not careful you can get the edge of your boot or shoe hung on the side of one of the pedals.

The extensions make the 2 outside pedals (slow speed and brake) and the reverse ( center pedal)
a little easier to manipulate.

A little more spacing makes a noticeable difference when your driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 10:14 am:

You could also look for a period "fat man steering wheel" that tilts up and down for easier entry and exit if that is a problem. Won't help with height though.......:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 10:50 am:

The '26 - '27 Tudors have a wood floor and the drivers seat can be moved back to give more leg room. Might be the same for the '24 & '25' Tudors also.

Between that and a fat man steering wheel it should give enough room.

Ya, it seems Model T's weren't designed for guys like us with "prosperous guts"! :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 11:28 am:

That car on the right is a 23 with extensions on the windshield posts so that the tall man who drives it can get in without bending his head.

The tall man with the bow tie and hat on is actually standing on my running board and I am standing on the drivers side. The tall man is Greg Rising. You can see how much taller than I he is. Greg has a 27 touring. He compressed the springs on the drivers seat and tilted the seat back with less padding and can get in and drive his car.

In my experience, the cars up till 25 had more leg room than the 26-27 cars. You might need to do some custom work to make the seats fit you as others have done.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

I am only 6' 4" tall and 225 lbs but I wear a big wristwatch to compensate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:18 pm:

At 6'4" and about 240 I used to tour in our 15 touring, but wife decided I did not need to hand crank anymore, so it went on display. Toured in our 27 touring and it was and is a tight fit. Started touring in our 14 touring and it is good for a tall, big guy. Also have a 22 coupe and it has a LOT of room. Look around at tours or shows and ask owners to sit in the various models. Then decide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:42 pm:

Try an Improved Tudor car for size.
You can move the front seats back a hole which makes a world of difference.
I'm 5' 11" but have long legs........that 2" did the trick for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:57 pm:

I'm not very big, about 5' 9".(ar least I was) and 165 lbs. My problem is similar. Take a look at the photo below. What's happened is the distance between the steering wheel and the left side body panel has diminished. Years ago I could just slide right in. Now I must stand to clear that spot and sit once inside. Can anyone explained this phenomenon? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

When I build my 3 "A" Woody I moved the seat back about 1&1/2" and it just fits. I should bend the shifter for a little more room for my right leg.
I guess I need to try an early touring and a later coupe. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Tom,

I'm a big guy and can drive my '23 Touring comfortably. I cannot speak for the closed cars, but I would think at most, you are talking a few inches here and a few inches there difference. My suggestion is to go for the car and body style you like. We've all become accustomed to modern conveniences like leg room and you're just not going to get that with any model t era car.

One suggestion would be to find and install a "Fat Man Steering Wheel". They're a popular period correct accessory. Do a google search and you'll find lots of pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

You and I stand the same but I have 50# weight on ya. I have a 24 coupe. A little work getting in behind the wheel. But once in and I get my size 14 feet in place, working the hand brake has a slight challenge but I can drive with comfort. I do drive the car in parades with what seems like 100's of carefree kids on bikes everywhere. My height in my torso.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration