OT - Is Norway REALLY going to ban gasoline-powered cars?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - Is Norway REALLY going to ban gasoline-powered cars?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

This is a clip I just received....
http://www.powernationtv.com/post/norway-is-saying-no-in-a-pretty-big-way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

Oh no, here we go again.

Next thing you know someone is going to suggest that we push our cars around by hand in order to make young people more interested in the hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

Should I be buying Tesla shares?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Just tell the younger folks that the "T" in Model T stands for Tesla..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:24 pm:

It's a suggestion coming from the Labour party (AP,).with strong support from the environment party the Green party. They recommend that by 2025 to phase out most of the fossil new car sale, only to accept low emission and zero emission cars (new car sales). They want to do that not by banning fossil engines but by high fees and taxes. By 2030 they recommend that almost all new cars sold will be zero emission cars. Nothing is decided yet but the Labour party together with the Green party (MDG) and one or more left wing parties might win the next election next year. They can't ban the existing fossil carf fleet, but it might be expensive to drive one. I don't think it will affect the antique cars, other than the fuel price will be painful high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

That's only 9 years away, do they expect to see some technological advancement to fill in the gap??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

-Rolf-
They might want to look at this 'Tesla thing'...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/for-tesla-owner-losing-a-wheel-was-just -the-first-surprise/ar-AAgW46B?li=BBnbfcN&ocid=SK2EDHP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

What exactly a zero emissions car? Seems to me even all electric cars have to be recharged by way of the electrical system. Is Norway all solar and wind power on their grid?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 07:27 pm:

Electric cars rely on energy from the grid. Most of that energy comes from coal, followed by natural gas.

The hypocrisy is incredible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 07:36 pm:

Vell den.......you can tell a Norvegian.........but you can't tell him much........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:40 pm:

Norway has one of the highest rates of per-capita consumption of electricity in the world. With over 99% of Norway's electricity supply derived from the country's abundant hydropower [from geni.org). No coal power there, Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 12:53 am:

The world is trying to see who can be the most PC. Our government would love to get laws passed to to keep your T parked!! Like no gas sold or emissions legal only allowed on the road pre 2000. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 01:57 am:

Due to how the Norwegian government has handled their vast oil supplies the entire citizenship has cradle to grave care.......even vacations paid for by the government.
Even WITH the oil money their tax rates are high but the populace doesn't seem to mind because they are so well taken care of.
That said I would hate to hire a Norwegian immigrant because of that.......NOT that Norwegians are fleeing the country........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 02:06 am:

Yes P.Jamison is right. Norway is very fortunate. They have plenty of hydro power and some windmill parks. No coal or natural gas power plants. For other countries it would be a different story.
The authorities in Norway reward people who buy electric and hybrid cars. The owners are a privileged. For instance electric car owners pay no road toll, free parking in the capital Oslo , reserved parking with free charging stations all over the city, electric cars are allowed to drive in bus lanes. Very low import tax on new electric cars, no road tax . No wonder Norway is the worlds most dense market for Tesla and other manufacturer of electric cars. 17% of al new cars sold are electric.. Well, its not fair, I'm driving my 10 years old diesel car, and kind of finance som of the benefits of the electric car privileges. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:06 am:

well my golf carts are nuclear powered.:-)
I would love to have a old Citicar,but not for the greenie weenies satisfaction. I just want 1 to play with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:00 am:

Royce is right, most electric cars are powered by coal, Diesel, atomic or hydro power. Hydro power is about as close to zero emission as possible, but the environmentalists want to take out the dams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:38 am:

Looking at the design of a Detroit Electric Brougham (and rumor has it that Mrs Ford drove a Detroit Electric)and the Model T, it should be quite easy to convert a T into an electric vehicle. Plenty room for batteries and electric motor. Why I bet the Tesla folks would be happy to help with the conversion. Tax Credits any one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

The article said electric and hydrogen would still be available. Shouldn't be that hard to convert a T to hydrogen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 03:54 pm:

Jay Leno is having a 1914 Detroit Electric converted to a modern electric drivetrain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTTQCFeco54

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

Yep, if you jazzed up your T with an etimer, you can certainly place a three fuel carburetor that allows the T engine to run on gasoline, lpg or natural gas. A bit of tweaking and a fourth fuel - hydrogen can be added to the mixture.

http://www.vpowerequipment.com/index.php/three-fuel-carburetor-allows-generators-to-run-on-gas-lp-gas-or-natural-gas-5500-watt-threw-8750-watt.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products&gclid=CMXltOmprc0CFdgSgQodj-MEEA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

Hmmm, a propane powered T? I have a propane dealer within walking distance of my house.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Yes, you could put any sort of other powerplant in your Model T. Then you would not have a Model T any more.

No fun in that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:59 pm:

Have any of you old bellyachers looked at your driver's license lately ? You know
that part with your birth date ??? .... yeah ... chances are, we'll all be LONG dead
before any of this happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:26 am:

9 years?? Yeah, I might not be here, but I THINK I hope I am.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:14 am:

George, now you've got me thinking. Just ask my girlfriend, that's a dangerous thing...

I've had the crazy notion to find a way to adapt gasoline engines to LP. I think you just streamlined my process. We have several tractors in our collection that run on LP, and to be honest I prefer them to some of our gas ones. My uncle has a piece of sales literature for a kit to convert your garden tractor to an LP setup. I think this might be just the thing.

As far as banning gas burning engines, Nobody's doing it as fast as the environmentalists want. That's good news for us. Means we get to keep motoring along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:17 am:

The thing with moving away from fossil fuels that I find interesting - the new design in green technology - although better for the environment - It will be a real problem for those who want to drive more than 300 miles in one day. Example, if your batteries last 300 miles and it takes 3 to 5 hours to charge it will be a long trip. And what about air flights - certainly - short of having steam power, airplanes and air flights with electric will be time consuming and with limited cargo - except if using a balloon or dirigible with electric motors.

Those interested in vintage vehicles, will be facing a challenge if gasoline, kerosene, and other petrol chemical fuels are banned. We may be living in modern Technological Middle Ages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

>>>Most of that energy comes from coal, followed by natural gas. The hypocrisy is incredible.<<<

The electric car is only one component of the system. Once you have solar panels on your house to charge the car, you have a system.

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on June 17, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 08:13 am:

A T can be easily modified to run on Propane. The engine actually will probably run better on Propane, as it is a cleaner fuel then the gasoline that we are using today. You probably will never have to replace the spark plugs again. The only operational issues are where do you put the fuel tank, and how do you determine (without weighing the tank) how much fuel is left in the system?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration