Gas Line Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gas Line Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

This is a 1926 T with a 360 degree bend in the gas line. Is this a potential vapor lock or gas flow issue? The '26 has the gas tank in the cowl, so it should not be as bad as if the tank were under the seat. I have not driven it enough to know, but was having some gas feed issues with particles in the gas tank. Thinking of putting an inline gas filter on it and taking the 360 degree bend out of the line. Any suggestions?

Gas Line 26 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

I would eliminate the loop and go on about my day if it were mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:03 pm:

I'd eliminate the loop and flush out the tank and bulb. I would not use an inline (or any other type) of gas filter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

I agree with Royce and Henry. I would also recommend a steel line. The copper tends to get brittle with vibrations and will eventually break near the connections.

Clean out the bulb and drain out a little from time to time to clear out particles. You can even drain the tank and then put a coffee filter in your funnel and pour the gas back into the tank. That filter will take out the particles, but an in-line filter will give you problems when you climb hills. It is too restrictive for a gravity feed system.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

I bet the idea was to warm the gas with exhaust manifold heat before it hit the carburetor to improve vaporization.

I imagine you have some chilly spring and fall weather in South Dakota (if that's where the car is from).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Thanks Norm,
You've answered a question I've had for years. Although I've never installed an in-line filter, I've see a lot of 'em on tours. Mostly of the small engine shop variety. I think I noticed them when the owners had the hood up and were fiddling with the carb because of a fuel problem. And I like your coffee filter idea. My '26 roadster ran intermittently a few months and I knew exactly the problem. When I got home the sediment bulb was all clobbered up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

I think the idea was to offer protection of the line against vibration. This is often done on oilfield engines that have little to no vibration absorbing engine mounts and shake like hell as they run. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 06:45 pm:

It is possible the loop was an attempt to make the line more flexible and less likely to fatigue at the ends.
OR it could have been a place to put a cow magnet to improve mileage!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will put in a steel line and take the “loop” out. I like a little ‘slack’ in a gas line but this loop appeared to be too much. I messed up, as I had a chance to take a ‘lined’ tank out of another car and install it on this one. But it looked like a lot of extra work at the time. Now I wished I would have done it. This engine came from the Chicago area.
Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

>>>I think the idea was to offer protection of the line against vibration.<<<

Interesting idea, Jerry. The tube itself acting as it's own shock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Well, all I can say we did this in the oil patch years ago. Nuff said.....J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

The ‘loop’ reducing the vibration sounds like a very good idea. It is the most logical explanation for the loop. I am just concerned about the loop causing any problems with the gravity feed of gas to the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, June 13, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

I understand the reason for the filter,I did the same thing on a car 27 I had to keep trash out of the carb but I had a lot of rust on the tank. A lot! I replaced it with the nicest original you could ever want to find for $60 and $27 shipping off of T bay. It installed very easily, I replaced the copper with a stainless line and didn't put another filter on it. It at least looks better to me now and runs great also. No trash in the bulb screen ever. Just what I did.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 12:15 am:

Look at some original photos before you bend the gas line. It's pretty much an upside down question mark.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 01:02 am:

Chuck, here is a shot of mine.
This car still has all the original things.

PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:25 am:

I understand that a loop of some description is used as an anti vibration device as well as a bit cosmetic BUT certainly not on a Model T. Also agree, definitely no in line filter.
Just my opinion

Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:28 am:

>>>The ‘loop’ reducing the vibration sounds like a very good idea.<<<

I don't think the loop reduces vibrations. If I'm understanding the concept correctly, it absorbs the vibrations by spreading the stress out over the whole tube. I wouldn't worry about the gravity feed. The fuel in the line is going to seek the level in the tank. But it's not original looking so there's that.

Is the previous owner still around?

(Message edited by jesselashcraft on June 14, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Paul: Thanks for the photo, that is what I will do.

I have read comments on the use of in-line filters in the past and most seem to agree not to use them. So won’t use them.

I have coated tanks in the past with pretty good success. How hard is it to remove the tank in the cowl?

Previous owner is not around.

Thanks, Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

I have the loop on my '27 for the vibration and have never had any issues with it regardless of the temperature and I have driven the car in 100 degree temperatures. I doubt the shape of the gas line makes any difference at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

I use a flexible line between the Sweet potato and carb to take care of all the Vib'S. Just me for what's it's worth. J.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration