OT Well, they did it!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT Well, they did it!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

I went up to the courthouse in Little Falls today and while several people watched, Colonel Scott St. Sauver pined the Bronze Star With Oak Leaf Cluster onto my brand new store bought shirt.
He thanked me for my service.
Then had to ask me; "Do you know how to salute, Soldier?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

3rd photo should look like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Congrats, Mike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:10 pm:

Be proud my friend ! And thank you for your service. USA !! USA !! USA !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:16 pm:

Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:17 pm:

Congratulations! and THANK YOU for your service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:20 pm:

Good going Mike!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Job well done and thank you for your service. I am able to live, work, and take care of my family due to soldiers like yourself.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Congrats and thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Thanks for your service Mike, You're a good man. Well deserve recognition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

Good on ya!! 53 years and it seems my dress green's have shrunk!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Congratulations Mike.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Good for you mike, ya done good.
Ya done good for all of us too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Congrats and Thank You for your service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

Mike, That's wonderful!!! And it's about time, only 53 years later.... :-)

Best wishes,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

Congratulations and thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

Congratulations soldier, well done....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 12:18 am:

congrats on the metal. My uncle finally got 1 the paper work had been lost on about a year ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 06:35 am:

Congratulations Mike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 08:08 am:

Fantastic, Mike - congratulations! And thank you for your valiant service to our great country; we may have our problems, but we are still the greatest nation on God's green earth thanks to men and women in the military putting their lives on the line to keep us great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Congratulations Mike!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 08:50 am:

Congratulations Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:03 am:

Congratulations Mike, well deserved. Thanks again and again for your service to our country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Way to go, Mike. The only medal I ever earned was for shooting targets in basic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Brintnall on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

Congratulations Mike! Thanks for your commitment. Allen Brintnall So. W. Mo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

OUTSTANDING !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Good job And thank you!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

Much deserved, I'm sure. Thank you sir!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Mike, THANK YOU for your service and Congratulations!.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

Congratulations and Thank You. God bless our vets!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

Congrats Mike! Good thing you found out about it when you did! Well deserved. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:26 am:

I am very moved both by your service, and your patience in being recognized as one of the hero's that fought for our continued freedom.

THANK YOU AND ALL OTHERS WHO SERVED!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:55 am:

The Lord and Government both move in mysterious ways - and sometimes slow ones. Congratulations and thanks for your service from all of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:56 am:

Congrats! It's nice to see a good man honored for his service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 06:57 pm:

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. To say I'm proud to be a Veteran is an understatement. When all is said and done and I'm gone on that never ending Model T tour, I hope I'll always be remembered as a good father by my children, a good friend by my acquaintances and a veteran by the World!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Congrats........ :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:53 am:

Congratulations Michael, from this proud Marine veteran to a true hero. Can you post a scan of the citation that details the event that led to such an honor?

Semper Fi.

Jim Patrick
Sgt. USMC '72-'77

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Jim, this link will take you to the Camp Ripley Facebook page. Scroll down the page and you'll be able to see the write-up they did on the presentation.
www.facebook.com/CampRipley

The following is a clarification of the write up for my presentation that was made by the County Service Officer for Morrison County, MN.

"Bronze Star Presentation
Yesterday we had three presentations of very honorable and prestigious military awards. One to the family of a killed in action veteran, a second to a veteran who has passed away, and a third to a veteran who is here today. These awards had never been awarded previously. Yet so honorably earned. After much research of records, gathering of information, the awards were properly awarded to families and veteran.

Taking part in the presentation were: Col Scott St. Sauver the post commander of Camp Ripley. Retired Brigadier General DeWayne Schwanke, who is a combat veteran of Korea, and Vietnam. He is our guest speaker. Command Sergeant Major Michael Worden, the Camp Ripley Post Sergeant Major. MN State Representative Ron Kresha. The event was held with our county board meeting with all commissioners and administrator present as well.

The third award was presented to: Private First Class Michael Garrison. Family and friends present were: Ted James, Veteran Garrison's son Mike Garrison, John Garrison, and Jim Wyner

By direction of the president, “The Bronze Star Medal” is presented to:
Private First Class Michael Garrison, United States Army.

Private First Class Garrison distinguished himself by outstanding meritorious achievement in support of military operations, against communist aggression in the Republic of Vietnam. During the period of 1 November 1970 – 30 April 1971.

The Bronze Star Medal is a awarded to members of the United States Armed Forces for either heroic achievement, service, meritorious achievement, or meritorious service in a combat zone. The Oak Leaf Cluster denotes additional awards. In this case the Oak Leaf Cluster represented a second Bronze Star Award. Mr Garrison received his first Bronze Star Award in 1971 during his tour of duty in The Republic is South Vietnam.

Meritorious Unit Commendation is awarded to members of units who displayed exceptionally meritorious conduct in performance of outstanding service, heroic deeds, or valorous actions.

The Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation with Palm Device signifies recognition of deeds of valor or heroic conduct while in combat with the enemy. These were awarded to deserving individuals from 1965-1973.

PFC Garrison received all these medals and citations for his outstanding service.
He consistently manifested exemplary professionalism and initiative in obtaining outstanding results. His rapid assessment and solution of numerous problems inherent in a combat environment greatly enhanced the allied effectiveness against a determined and aggressive enemy. Despite many adversities, he invariably performed his duties in a resolute and efficient manner. Energetically applying his sound judgement and extensive knowledge, he has contributed materially to the successful accomplishment of the United States mission in the Republic of Vietnam. His loyalty, diligence and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest tradition s of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Army."

Please though, try to use the link. It details the other two presentations made that day. One was a Silver Star awarded posthumously to a Korean War Veteran killed in action. The other award was for a Bronze Star Award presented posthumously to a WW2 veteran."

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 06:27 am:

Mike, I am so glad that you have posted this and got the recognition that you so deserve.
I am so fortunate that I was never in a situation where I would be eligible for anything like that. I was awarded the Air Medal one day after I left Vietnam in '71. I didn't find out about it until quite awhile after I got home. They offered me a presentation ceremony, but at that time, we weren't very popular, so I passed. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:26 am:

From one Viet Nam vet to another, congratulations!! I was not in combat ( Psyops Ranger) thank goodness. All we had to worry about was the occasional incoming mortar round. My hat's off to all you guys who were in the bush. Especially since you weren't exactly welcomed home with open arms.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration