Looking for a lot of advice for the rebuild of a nearly original 1914 runabout.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Looking for a lot of advice for the rebuild of a nearly original 1914 runabout.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 12:44 am:

Hello all of you,

Last Tuesday, the 7th of June, after a thunder storm with heavy rain, a mud and water stream filled up the cellar under the showroom at the Ford garage I was working for 40 years. The cellar is 25m wide, 70m long and 6m deep. In the cellar the new cars were prepared to be delivered and stocked till delivery. There were also a few old cars in that cellar, one of them was a 1914 nearly original runabout.
20 years ago, this was the first Model T I ever worked on and it is also the car that give me the T bug.
Thursday, the water and most of the mud was pumped out of the cellar and we could see the damage: 30 new cars, the 1914 Model T, a 1980 Porsche 911 and a lot of material total lost.
I am not willing to give up the T and started preservation by draining all the liquids out of the car (engine, gas tank, radiator, rear axle ...)and fill it with new fresh oil, gas and water. Friday I rebuild the ignition box with new wood, cleaned out the Holley G carburetor and replaced the coils.
Saturday I was able, after a few heavy words to heaven and hell, to get it running again.
Now I am looking for advice.
What can I do to preserve the car till I can start the total rebuild?? the upholstery is out and the seat is opened, only the back rest and top are still on the car.
Does any one out there have experience with the rebuild of a drowned car??

Thanks
Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:01 am:

Here a few photos of the car before and after.
The after photos were taken after a first cleaning.
The parts in the box are rebuild.
The coils, after they were out of the coil box just came apart by the water pressure.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 08:37 am:

So glad u rescued a '14 Model T. I have had my '14 touring for over 40 yrs and plan to keep it till I die.
Nice save.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 08:49 am:

Of all the cars, the Model T should be the easiest one to save, I would think. Draining and changing all the fluids was a great start.

If you haven't already, I suggest that you remove the interior cardboard panels and remove enough tacks to peel back and give the seat back padding access to the open air - getting everything fully dried out is important.

Also, remove, clean, and re-pack the front wheel bearings.

Whenever you run it, be sure to let it run long enough to get fully up to temperature so that any lingering water in the oil gets evaporated out.

Good luck! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:08 am:

Andre, the good thing is the 14 wasn't under water very long. You stated you wanted to give the car a total rebuild. Was the wood beginning to deteriorate before it was under water? Was it repainted or reupholstered in the past? If its in good shape that is a good thing!

Opening up the upholstery and the side panels inside the car might be all you need to do as far as the body goes. A good drying out in the sun and in the open for several days will really help. If the wood is good make sure its dries well.

In my mind I don't think it had any great damage since it wasn't under water that long.

Clean it up and drive it. You may be surprised!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 10:46 am:

The cardboard panels are behind reuse and the fire wall is coming apart. Behind the panels the wood look to be solid but first I couldn't open the door, now it can't be closed.

The seat upholstery is +100 years old and the filling is bad.
The top cushions are coming apart.
I think the body is still solid but I will take it of the frame to clean the mud and sand out.

Andre
Belgium

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration