OCF: Some New Info You Will Find Helpful

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OCF: Some New Info You Will Find Helpful
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 11:18 am:

I had a Motor Muster (this weekend, by the way) narrators meeting last night and had the opportunity to ask about OCF.

If you have had a car there before, you should have gotten or will be getting an invitation to resubmit an application.

If you have had a car there before and wish to bring a different car, the same holds true.

If you have never had a car there before and wish to attend, you must submit a "request to be considered" to:

kristib@thehenryford.org

However, prior participants will be given first priority. The maximum number of vehicles is 750 due to space constraints in the Village. If the number of prior participants does not exceed 750, they will then consider those that have not participated before.

Special consideration will be given to rare or unusual vehicles, regardless of prior participation.

Right now, they are NOT limiting the number of Model Ts to the event. Sort of reading between the lines above IT COMES DOWN TO A FIRST COME, FIRST IN BASIS. THAT MEANS GET YOUR APPLICATION OR "REQUEST FOR CONSIDERATION" IN EARLY!!!

Acceptance also will depend on the correctness of restoration and authenticity. No more cream colored Dodges with brown fenders. (For those of you that have been to OCF, you may remember a bright green and pink Model T speedster. Don't be surprised if you see it there again!)

In order to assure correctness of restoration and authenticity, the Special Events team is being more strict about photographs. They want current, multiple pictures ie: front, rear, three quarter, etc.

Another huge problem, and reason for the changes, is offsite parking for the number of trailers, motorhomes, campers, etc.

OCF has become a HUGE event in the past few years. There was a time when we were lucky to get 200 cars! Not so anymore.

Partially because of this growth, the Special Events team is sort of "testing the waters" this year with some of these changes to see what works and what doesn't. The situation may or may not be the same next year.

Oh, also, no Saturday fireworks this year.

I really hope this helps. If I can clarify anything, let me know. You can always contact Kristi Best at the above email for more information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 12:39 pm:

"Don't be surprised if you see it there again!" - Is this a typo???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

When I win the lottery I will submit my request for consideration, or when I pay off my mortgage whichever comes first!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Ed, unfortunately not a typo. I think they are allowing it because they want to encourage young folks. There also seems to be an unspoken reason. In my opinion, this just leaves the Special Events team wide open for possible criticism and discussions and questions from others such as, "Well, if that speedster is allowed, why isn't my orange Model T?" or what ever.

Although I agree that young folks should be encouraged, I don't think this is the event to encourage interest with that sort of car.

I am no longer on the review/approval committee but when I was I argued against allowing it for the above stated reasons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andria Myers----------Long Beach, CA on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:05 am:

What is OCF ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 06:50 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzoHiuDJ03w

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 06:56 am:

Orange Car Festival?

Jim Herber's 26 Franklin. One of two identical coupes manufactured for a Pennsylvania railroad executive and his wife.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:33 am:

Tom, I believe that is a correct color for that year Franklin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:35 am:

FYI: I just heard from the Special Events team and although registration has been open for only two weeks, 500 vehicles have applied. And HALF are Model Ts and As. I'm not sure what this means for this years T and A applicants. But I'll bet it means something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:38 am:

You're right Marty. It is indeed the original color and it was originally painted with Dupont Duco.

Jim has done extensive research on the car after he bought it 40 years ago from the late Hilton Kiebler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:02 am:

Marty,

If they are not limiting the Model Ts & As and the limit has been reduced to 750 vehicles and 500 vehicles have applied already then what you're telling us is there is NOT going to be much diversity?! But, the committee sounds like it contradicts itself saying, not limiting Model Ts & As but, looking at the rarity of certain vehicles. All this based on first come? Now, half the vehicles of the day being Model Ts is certainly reminiscent of the time, diversity is still extremely important in keeping guests interested. This is a very fine line and limiting it to 750 vehicles is too low. 850 is more appropriate I believe. Not all registered participants ants are sure to arrive? And bright colored vehicles do not belong....... Just my thoughts,

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:42 am:

No mention of those who bring more than one vehicle?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 08:45 am:

No mention of those who bring more than one vehicle?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:39 am:

Bud,

If the Motor Muster is any indication of the Old Car Festival, multiple entries are still being accepted. I signed up for the Old Car Festival and my wife and I each entered a car. Of course we've yet to hear if either of us is accepted yet.

The Motor Muster envelope had a printed reminder to take photos of our cars from every angle including photos of the wheels. This is in preparation for the 2017 admission process.

At least one visitor was disappointed there were no vehicles prior to 1933 at the Muster. I told him he has to come back for the Old Car Festival.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 01:17 pm:

Good on ya Tom!! Glad to hear you got your trailer back!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

As to the green & pink speedster, there is no wrong color for a speedster, so long as the color could have been available in the era. Metallic colors are, of course, not of the era, for example. Though the green & pink speedster might hurt the eyes and question one's taste, it could have been painted like that in the era. These are not Greenfield Village's reasons, as far as I know, just my take on it. Yes Marty, we've debated this before, but I can be stubborn too ;O)

P.S., I hope the green paint on your 14's engine isn't showing. Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Green paint on Marty's '14 engine? Well, let's see..... I would imagine it's probably a forest green and NOT neon green!,
If he has the car at Old Car Festival and chose not to open the hood, so be it, and no one would be the wiser!
Come on, people! If there was ever a car to cut from the line up, the one with the bright color has got to go...... No Question!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 02:46 am:

I remember when I was the kid in this hobby! I was still in high school!!!!

I also remember, over 40 years ago, reading an article in one of the collector car magazines that used to be published (Car Classics if I recall correctly) about a fellow that restored an original custom sports roadster (from about '28 or '29?). He was so proud of this original one of a kind custom sports car, that he did good research. He discovered it had been built by a known custom designer back in the day, who had built a total of several (I don't remember the exact number, about 5 to 7) cars over a period of several years. I do not recall what the car was based from, but I do not think it was a Ford (I could be wrong about that, I haven't seen the article in about 40 years).
One major detail I do remember from the article, was that the original builder was somewhat of a known artist, and his signature color was PINK! The car's original color was PINK! The fellow restoring the car wanted to be true to the original build. So, he painted it pink.

So. As much as you may NOT like it. Apparently, pink was used on at least a few cars, back in their day.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but?

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 06:07 am:

Keeping in mind that I only used to read Playboy magazine for the car photos, I remember several playmates of the year received pink cars in the sixties. Some of these cars were pink and the color was also available to the general public. There was a limited number of Mustangs and Cougars that were originally painted this color.

And to remain on track with the Old Car Festival thread, my sister showed up with a box of 8mm films converted to DVD. My wife and I are in several scenes at the Old Car Festival behind the chicken wire fence, showing off our '25 Coupe. I'll try to catch some good stills off these DVDs and publish them here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Wayne,

With all due respect, an article read over 40 years ago: 1) Name of the magazine is in question? 2) Year of the custom sports roadster is in question? 3) Number of custom cars built by a well known custom designer is in question? Let alone the name of the designer? 4) The make of the car is in question? 5) But, the color pink is the one rock solid detail that you remember.???
So, with that many discrepancies it would be suicide to put you on the witness stand! To recap, you hate to be the bearer of bad news? Sorry, but I am finding this story is not credible......... Find the article and I shall read it.

Yes, pink cars would be completely appropriate at Motor Muster. No question, there!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Do a Google Image search on "pink Ruxton roadster". Hemmings and other articles on the car pop up. Definitely not a Model T though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 22, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

:-) LOL
Willis, I did clearly state that my memory is not to be completely relied upon (well, maybe not that clearly). However, the one fact of the article that stuck with me is that the research at the time of restoration showed the original color was pink.
Many cars were offered in a pink color during the early to mid '50s. They were often called "salmon" color. Many years ago, a father/son car hobbyist pair (the son was about my age) liked to collect Packards and Cadillacs. Along with earlier cars, they had several early '50s Packards, most in very nice original condition. The nicest one they had was original pink. It was such a nearly perfect unrestored car. But, they both seemed bothered by the color, and rarely drove it. They rarely even pulled the car cover off of it, and threatened to paint it. They often drove the white '54 convertible. It was also a beautiful car (for a modern car). I rode in it several times.
I have also known a number of pink Mercurys, Desotos/Plymouths, and even a Cadillac or two from the early to mid '50s. I don't think any of those were ever Mary K cars. I think that came a little later, and continued for many years. I even remember pink Mary K car well into the '80s. The trend to offer pink as a standard color I don't think lasted very long.
I might still have that magazine? Too much stuff packed away.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 08:43 am:

Willis, I wish I could answer for the "committee" and clarify things but not being a member, I can't.

I think both car shows are going through "growing pains" because they have gotten so big, especially OCF. I think there will be a shake-down of things and then, eventually, a settling down.

I'm sure you all recognize that 250 of 500 cars being Fords is an historically accurate representation of what was on the road during those decades. But, the point is, I think the Special Events people want more of a diversity, therefore, they are concerned about the number of Ts and As.

I would not be surprised to see Ts and As limited at some point, if the interest continues to be so high.

As for the pink and green speedster, I have no comment.

And, Jerry Van, that's not green paint. It's mold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 09:49 am:

Wayne, I remember when it was all the rage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Steve,

That's not pink, it's "salmon" :-O)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:22 am:

Great photo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Would this be allowed???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Jerry,
I don't know why not....... :-)

Just back from Europe, and registered our 06 N and 07 K. Ready for OCF. Let the summer proceed......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

Just looked at the 2015 video. Many thanks to Ed for providing that link.
But man, I'd have 'whip-lash' just from looking! (Wish they would ID the cars, though.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:14 pm:

The thanks belong to Don Booth, for the video and a whole lot more. I would never have a car at the OCF if not for him. By the way, I met him through this forum :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

Saw the proper 'credits' at the video's end, and sent him a personal 'Thank You' as well. Thanks again to you, and let me know how that radiator worked out for you.
Marv

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration