Gas Line clamp

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gas Line clamp
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

This is the clamp I received. On the side where the screw goes you see a tab (triangular) that prevents the clamps from being flat against each other. What is the purpose of those tabs, or should I grind them off?

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 01:37 pm:

Dave- those tabs keep the two halves aligned with each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Tim. Is it more stable once the gas line is in place? Those tips in the corners dont want to line up very straight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:21 pm:

Dave, Tim is correct. The repros that I got years ago weren't even close. I let the vendor know about them, but evidently, they didn't do anything about it. The originals have much smaller tabs on them and they line up and hold the two clamps together when the bolt is installed. The only way the repros would work was to flatten them out and re-bend them. Another case of parts that haven't been researched or checked out to see if they are usable, and nothing done when a problem is found. :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:23 pm:

Can someone post a picture of original gas line clamp halves so that we can see the difference? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Here is a pair of originals. The tab is shorter than the repro, and fit is nice, keeps clamps from turning when you tighten the bolt and lockwasher and nut.

I like to also add a short length of rubber gas line, cut in half, to encircle the metal line. The rubber rides in the clamp. Clamp holds the gas line to the frame, but the rubber allows it to 'slip' a bit when you un-do the gas line at the carb, and need to pull out the gas line from the carb elbow.

That way you don't have to get out and get under to loosen the line at the clamp. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

Thanks all. I think I will grind a little bit off the tabs before I install them. Also wrap the fuel line with some friction tape so it is not too rigid a hold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:18 am:

Usually, Bob Bergstadt has NOS originals. He has had them on e-bay several times recently. They work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:51 am:

Thankyou for the picture Dan, now I know how the tabs are supposed to work!

I have a set of the repro clamps, but I haven't installed them because my gas line is not routed per stock (it seems to work fine, though). Someday if I have to replace the line I will route the replacement correctly and modify the repro clamps to fit correctly. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 11:06 am:

Mark

You're welcome.

Here is the clamp mounted under the rear most bolt of the emergency brake/clutch cross shaft bracket. Ford method. This install I placed the piece of hollow felt gasket Ford used for the gas line at the elbow. The felt provides some buffer for metal to metal contact of the clamp and gas line.

At the carb elbow, instead of the felt seal there, inside the nut, using a piece of modern rubber gas tubing line is better IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 01:55 pm:

be sure to use gas tubing, not vacuum tubing, as the modern fuels will melt the vacuum stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

Here's how I modified my reproduction clamp halves today so that they fit together like the originals do. I ground off more of the cut-off corner to make room for the bent over tab, then ground down the tips of the tabs so that they don't stick up above the level of the mating part of the clamp. :-)

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Nice job Mark, but if they were made correctly, like the originals, you wouldn't have to do that! That is why I prefer original parts!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration