Gearing.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Gearing.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 02:52 pm:

The rundown:
TT closed cab on a T chassis with 21" wire wheels. A Warford will be in use. Only upgrades to engine are a distributor and aluminum head.
Yes, lots of hills in my adventures.
What rear gear would most of you run?
I was thinking of going to the 3.00:1.
With the use of the Warford, would is be wiser to stay with the 3.63:1?
Any one running a Warford tell me what gear you are running and your experience?
I only want to build the rear-end once if I can help it.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 03:27 pm:

If you are referring to a new Warford which provides a high and low gear, stay with the 3.63:1.
If you are referring to an original style, it will depend on what ratios it provides. I will advise the unless heavily modified the original warfords can be very noisy with an enclosed vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Based on your description I would go with 4-1 gears. The Warford in OD will give you a decent "road gear". As you plan to drive lots of hills, this way you won't always be using low pedal and you will get better engine braking
Remember the old truckers rule, same gear down hill as you would use going up!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

I actually have 2. Both of them are the cast iron housing Warfords. From what I understand, 1st gear (underdrive) ratio of 1.37:1, 2nd (Direct) was 1:1 and 3rd (overdrive) was 1:1.363.

Les, I'm all trucker. I've had my CDL for 23 years now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

I run an aluminum case Warford with a 4 to 1. I wouldn't go to a 3.63 to 1 with what you have described. I agree with Les. Your motor will work pretty hard with the 4 to 1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

3:1 would not be the way to go. That cab is heavy and presents a lot of vertical square footage and wind resistance. With your Warford you have overdrive for higher speeds. They have a rather deep underdrive so I think the stock 3.63 gears would be good, you would easily be capable of over 50 mph. 4:1 would be more reduction than you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

I use a 3:63 rear with a 3 speed repo warford. Works perfect. Would not suggest a 3:00 rear unless it's match with a u/d. Just my thoughts. J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 12:12 am:

One of the speedsters I used to have had a Universal (the brand name, made strictly for a model T) three speed progressive shift with a really tall overdrive. It was intended for use with 4 to 1 rear end gears. Now, this was a light weight and low wind resistance car. It did just fine around town in direct, with the 4 to 1 gears. The overdrive gave it really good highway gears. For a closed-cab pickup? That should be perfect with a Warford overdrive.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Thanks guys for your input. With the suggestions here and chatting with a fellow T friend, it looks like I'm going to go with the 4:1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 01:07 am:

That warford is going to drive you out of your mind in that closed cab. I speak from experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

A good pair of ear plugs helps!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

Yea, I agree that it should be interesting. I haven't heard one in person, only in a couple of videos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

I would be interested to see (hear) what differences a T chassis and running gear would make for
the colossal "drum" that is a TT closed cab, as opposed to the usual TT chassis/drivetrain.

I would also submit that the closed cab has all the aerodynamic qualities of a parachute, which
exponentially increases wind resistance as speeds increase. This should be a consideration when
calculating power/gearing formulas.

I cut my interior "roar" by 50% when I made some soft foam door bumpers to replace the originals
that had shriveled to "rocks", that the doors were rattling against. I suspect with my new balanced
drivetrain vibration-related noise will be further reduced, but that install is still a little way out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Is a disturbutor an upgrade? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

My cab isn't in the best of shape. Which is good for me as I plan to modify it a bit. But I agree, it has the aerodynamics of a brick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 05:29 pm:

Anyone know what a closed cab weighs?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration