Front Spring and Fender to Tire Distance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Front Spring and Fender to Tire Distance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 03:53 am:

My front fenders have always been pretty close to the fenders so that when I hit a pot hole they often bottom out. Am wondering if a new front spring would raise the fenders a few inches. The only springs out there seem to be sold by Snyders. Has anyone out there solved this by replacing the spring with what's being offered by Snyders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 06:45 am:

I had the same problem on a speedster I built. I had installed reverse eye main springs that lower the car a bit. To solve the problem I had to remove the finder and heat and bend the arm that holds the finder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:31 am:

I had the same problem. Bought a new spring from Gator at Chickasha. Fixed the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

When I bought my pile of parts generally resembling a 1923 Runabout, it looked like it was taking on water by the bow and had settled to the point where the fenders were all but touching the top of the tires just sitting in the driveway. It didn't look happy.

A look at the front spring revealed that some moron had removed some of the leaves out of it and bolted it back in LOOSE. Dave at Chaffin sent a new spring which fixed the looseness and helped with the fender clearance.

The second fix was to remove the fenders and bend the fender irons back up into place. This done, the fender/tire gap looked "right" just as the photos of a new car showed it should.

Vintage Paul

Here is what the car looked like as purchased:
23 T Before

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration