30X3 1/2 Tire Removal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 30X3 1/2 Tire Removal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Today, I had to remove a current production Firestone tire. I've been doing this all of my adult life, but I've never timed myself. It took me 6 minutes. This is after I let the air out, and broke the tire from the rim. Then, I had a beer!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:08 pm:

How many seconds to have a beer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Cook on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

My first one was a wards Riverside and took me an hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:15 pm:

A friend and I replaced 2 30x3's front tires. Had a hell of a time removing the old Firestone non skids. Ended up cutting them off with a hack saw. They were on the car for 30 yrs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

I have a wonderful old bead breaker tool which makes removal dead easy. But it took me several days to get a set of new Wards on! Boy those were tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

This guy is in our club and he knows how to install the tires.
Langs has some tire tools in his catalogue which John has. He wraps them with duct tape to protect the wheels from scratches and dish soap to make them slide easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:55 am:

I had a set of old tires on a couple of rims that I wanted to replace. The tires were weather checked and well-worn, so I thought this would be easy. I tried using C Clamps to break the bead, and I about broke my C Clamps trying to squeeze the tire. After cussing for awhile and wondering how to get this stiff piece of junk tire off, I looked at the valve stem. I never bothered taking the valve core out. Turns out the tube still held air! I looked over the tube and it's still in very nice shape. After I got the tire and tube off the rim, which was easy once the air was out, I put the valve back together and put some air in the tube. It's still holding air, hidden in a dark corner of the shed in case I need a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 11:11 am:

I had to replace a tube in tire that was 50 years old.
I struggled for two days until I learned about the sun and a plastic bag.
Once I knew the tricks it took about 5 minutes to put the tire on the rim.

I have 4 new tires and am waiting for a really hot day to put them on the wheels.

The old tubes hold air better than the new tube, so I'm thinking of reusing the old ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 02:10 pm:

Fred, please tutor this newbie... just how does the sun and a plastic bag work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Fred - That's one I've not heard of either. Please enlighten us? When I took off the old original factory 10 ply 30X3 1/2's from the TT, I still ended up with needing to cut out a piece of the tire to get it off! (Yes, I'd left out the air and removed flap an tube first.....) New tires went on easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

I thought the trash bag deal was for installing tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6sH8WRl6yI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Mark - Guess I've been too sheltered since I'd not heard of that, either. Dad's TT had 2-piece rims/rings (20" tires called 30X 3 1/2) for the rear, and then 21" 1-piece 'split rims' front in my experience. Same 21" with Cranky! Maybe, I just need to be more observant?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

New tires are pretty easy. Original Wards beat me to a pulp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

A nice 'split rim spreader' idea from 2012:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/285189.html?1337808736

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 05:16 pm:

I did 8 last year; 8 off and 8 on (flaps and rim liners) Four with split rims and 4 drop center. First split rim drove me insane. Also never thought I would get the rim straightened again!! I bought a tool (spreader) and although it helped, it was still a chore. There must be different spreader tools out there, as this one did not work the best. Baby powder or talcum worked better than soap as it was not as messy (and I smelled like a clean baby’s butt). The whole process made me say naughty words and drink many beers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 05:43 pm:

I tried the plastic bag trick, now I need to pull tire because there is no way to get all of the bag out and I can see it all the way around. The best for me was warm tire soapy water, lay rim and tire on blanket and pull rim up into tire by hand. Royce has a great method as well. He uses weight of car with rim still mounted on car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 05:56 pm:

I suspect the trash bag trick and hot day is: put the tire in the plastic bag in the sun. When it is good and warm, mount the tire on the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

No no
Taking the tire off is not the problem.
Getting it back on is what is hard.
The plastic bag made putting an old tire back on the rim easy.

I saw the plastic bag method on YouTube.
The sun was used to get things warm.

The bag does not belong in the sun.
It makes the surface of the rim smooth and can be a bit of a hassle to remove, but it was the only way I could get the old tire back on the rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

David

Use a heavier bag!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

Mark lists the YouTube video.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 07:44 pm:

The first time I changed a tire on the 12 it took an hour , now I know what I'm doing I can rotate all four in an hour or less. I use a little dish soap on the rim and the tires slip on very well. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:17 am:

I wonder about getting the plastic bag out too! There is enough of a problem just mounting the tires. I use two TT Ford tire irons, and a large rubber mallet, and the heal of my shoe. That's all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Just laying the tires out in the sun to warm up and get soft really does help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:29 am:

BTW, it took me ten minutes to install the same tire on another wheel. It took me 10 minutes. The weather was warm, so that helped. Can't imagine a plastic bag! What a waste of time! A great big rubber mallet is all you need.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration