1926 headlight rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926 headlight rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:04 pm:

A few years ago I noticed that my '26 headlight rims were rattling. They were moving on the small pins inside the rim. These pins are brass and after a while they were half way worn away. So, I looked for another set and found a nice replacement set. Now these rims are in the same condition, the brass pins are half worn away and are rattling again. Eventually the pins will wear off and the rim will be really loose.

Instead of looking for another pair of rims, I was wondering how these could be repaired. Has anyone done this?
Also I'm wondering why these wore like this? I'm figuring that maybe the reflector cord should contact the headlight lens and stop the rim from moving? Any ideas? Thanks Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holger T. Berthelsen on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Make sure you have the headlight reflector spring in the correct position.It pushes the reflector towards the lens to keep the seal good and make sure the rim is seated all the way on the bucket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

And check the gasket between the lens and reflector.
https://www.modeltford.com/item/6578X.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 11:27 am:

Thanks for the help. I believe I have the reflector spring in correctly. The reflector is pushed up against the stops on the bucket. I can feel the springiness (is that a word?) of the reflector, when I push back on it. I think the problem is the pin AND the slot in the edge of the bucket, where the pin runs and gets trapped.

The bump, also seems to be worn and doesn't pull the rim pin down against the reflector gasket.

The is a picture of the bucket slot with the reflector in place.

There is about 0.21" between the reflector and the top of the bump. The pin measures about 0.15", leaving nearly 1/16" for the rim to rattle. I measured the distance between the bucket rim edge to the top of the slot bump and found 5/32". Then welded the bump closed and ground a new bump that is 7/32" from the edge.

I have three more bumps and 4 pins to repair. Let you know how it turns out later.
Thanks, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Zahorik on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

Well.... I welded up and ground new bumps, that are 7/32" from the edge, in the bucket slots on one headlight bucket. I didn't do anything with the pins. A little concerned about ruining the plating by welding or brazing the pin. Thought of filling with solder, but.... Anyway I tried the rim with just repairing the slot and it seems to work. Then I thought about the reflector gasket. I had some cloth cord acting as the gasket and I replaced it with some flexible 1/4" rubber hose. This hose has a larger ID than vacuum hose and seems to crush nicely. This seemed to the frosting on the cake. The rim is nice and tight on the bucket and I still can remove it. Now I just have to finish the other headlight bucket. Thanks for the help, Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration