1922 T Carb.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1922 T Carb.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ohnesorge on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Hello all,

I am a relative newbie with the Model T. I inherited a '22 Touring from my dad he purchased it when he was 15 in 1950. He used to parade it alot. It was parked in about 1981. I got it out changed oil added water, replaces plugs, wiring harness and added gas it runs and I have driven it a little. The carb is in need of a rebuild, there are no tags on it. It is a Holley and from reading some posts I think it is a model G as it has three screws on top where the spray needle goes. Is that the correct model? Are these carbs hard to rebuild/adjust? I am in the midwest and also would like to find some tires not new but usable as I don't really have plans to use this car alot and don't want to spend 200 plus on new tires. I want to get running and road worthy enough to take my uncle for a ride as he rode along with my dad in the parades. Thanks for reading, responding to this novel post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

I think it should be a Holly NH.
My '14 has a Holly G.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 11:44 pm:

Richard is right in saying that the stock carburetor for your car would be a Holley NH, but the earlier Holley G you describe (about 1914-1920) is OK. The only problem you may encounter is parts. Everything for the NH is available new, but not all G parts are being made. Of course, if you don't need those parts it's no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Most of the parts that go bad in a Holley G are available in reproduction form - for example the venture, needle and seat, strangling tube. Others can be found easily, so if you want to you can rebuild one. Here are some photos of a 1915 Holley G recently rebuilt by Stan Howe for a friend of mine.

I am not crazy about these carburetors because they are way down on power compared to the more common NH carburetor that your car is likely to have had when it was new. If I were in your shoes I would be looking for an NH to rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:04 am:

Lang's has the NH. There will be a core charge I suspect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Ohnesorge on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:15 am:

Looking at the photos that is the carb I have on my car, the G. It ran (not well) so I figure I could just rebuild this carb and be ok. I have looked through Snyders catalog at parts are there better places to get parts? I purchased my wiring harness from them seemed like good stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Tom,

All the carburetor parts are made by one source. Whichever vendor is closest to you and gives good service would be the one to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Nice touring!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Tom,

Sent you a PM. Check your email.

Steve Hughes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:29 am:

An alternative approach: Use the G while shopping for the NH. Rather than spending $180 or more for a newly rebuilt NH, get a body at a swap meet for $5 to $20 and add whatever new parts it needs. Assuming you have to buy everything for it, you'll save about $50. More likely it will have some usable parts and the saving will be more.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration