Pictures of the mangled oil slinger / ??? babbitst? that broke in the 1912 engine last week,.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pictures of the mangled oil slinger / ??? babbitst? that broke in the 1912 engine last week,.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Here are pictures of the mangled oil slinger or babbitt?? that broke in the 1912 engine last week. I do not now what the Babbitt is, but maybe you can make this out anyway.

I laid under the engine so was not abkle to get a good picture.

Saturday I will drive it to Kevin Prus and take it out of the engine. At which time I can take better pictures if anyone cannot make out what this is.

Just sharing.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

Post a picture of another rod that is not messed up. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:06 pm:

Broken rod bolt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

The bolt could simply have come loose. The babbit looks like it was fine before the damage. I noticed the rod bolts are modern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Rogahn - Davisburg, MI on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:26 pm:

Yep. Looks like the rod bolt let go or the nut loosened up. The other nut looks really loose as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

What a shame, so much damage from such a simple part of a nut/bolt.
All can be fixed, block and all, just $$$'s
And lets hope the next engine re-builder takes care in assembly, I can see that good rod in the photo is in backwards!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:50 pm:

Are those self-adjusting rod bolts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Another testimony for rod nuts with cotter pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

The profile of the nut with the rounded top looks like a self locking nut to me. Is it possible that when mismatched with a bolt with the wrong thread pitch, it could loosen up? I agree with James, cotter pins might have prevented this tragedy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 11:00 pm:

That is a real shame, particularly on an early block. I can't figure out though how the nut can get that loose without it making noise for a long time. Did the threads strip when the other bolt came out maybe? Is the other bolt broken, stripped or (hard to believe) did it just have a loose nut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

Was it knocking for a ways or did it just let go? Sad for a early block. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Hello Robert,

The babbitt is the bearing surface that is inside the crankshaft end of the rod. It is poured molten into the rod and then "fitted" to the crankshaft for a .0015 clearance. Did you find the other rod bolt and nut in the engine? From the looks of the photos the rod bolt may have broken or the nut loosened and came off. Once this happened if the other bolt was still holding somewhat it probably allowed the rod or rod cap to come off the crankshaft and punch the hole in the block.

In the photo the babbitt is the gray surface inside the rod big end, you can see the line where it meets the actual steel of the rod.

Hope that this helps. I think that you should try to save the block. There was a thread several years ago that showed how an early block that had been smashed by a scrap man's sledge hammer was fixed in Australia, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

On my wifes 26 touring engine when we got the new rod bolts tight they would strip so we removed them and used the old style with cotter pins. I would not use those self locking nuts in such an important spot if you paid me to do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Bob
That's why I use new grade 8 bolts nuts and SAE size flat washers. I grind a flat on the head and good to go with a torque wrench and a bit of red Loktite. For more than 20 years

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration