Help ID Large Rear End. TT? Ruckstel TT? 77" brake rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Help ID Large Rear End. TT? Ruckstel TT? 77" brake rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

Digging through the family stash last week and came across this large rear end. I knew it wasn't mine, so tok some photos.
Not attached to it, but laying next to it were two 77" brake rods, perfectly straight, no angles or bends from clevis pin connector to clevic pin connector, so don't kow if this helps ID the rear end.
My wife thinks maybe a TT Ruckstel rear end?
What is it and what do I do with it?

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:36 pm:

TT truck rear end, not a Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Approximate year? Or, were they all they same.?
If I list it on the classifieds, I want to give an approximate years of use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

late style

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

Oop's I looked closer and this is an early version with only 2 spider gears. Was also used on a shorten driveshaft.

Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:27 pm:

I know Hal Davis is in Ga, and maby others with TT's. The brake shoes are a good thing to have spares of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Fred,
The early TT rear ends did use only 2 spider gears, but how do you know this one has just 2?

Robert,
The thickened bead on the clam shell at the axle tube does indicate it's an early unit. I'm not sure of exactly when that bead was discontinued, but I believe it lasted only the first year or two, so that narrow is down to around 1918-1920 year models.

It's certainly an item you could sell. If you can turn it and determine the gear ratio it would help. The low ratio gears are less valuable than the high ratio gears. The low ratio set will be 7 1/4 and the high ratio set will be 5 1/6:1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Fred, I don't think that is an early style. While it looks like there is a small bead on the one picture of the housing, it isn't nearly as large as it should be unless it was ground down for some reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Justin,
I thought the same thing, but a closer look made me think it was ground down. It's the only explanation I could think of for what I see, although it's mysterious. I can't imagine why anyone would grind it down......

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration