Nitrophyl Float Material

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Nitrophyl Float Material
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Has anyone used this Nitrophyl material to make a new float? I have a Winfield carb with a beatup float that I would like to replace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:31 am:

I have one in the speedster, worked great so far for the past 2-3 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:28 am:

Yeah, it works but like cork it does absorb fuel over time (but at a much slower rate). I've used nitrophyl for antique outboard floats a couple of times, but had some issues with fuel absorbtion when I trimmed the stuff to the size I needed. So, I coated it with a couple of coats of airplane dope and that did seem to help. Also helps if you always run the gas out of your carb before letting it sit for extended periods. My preference is still brass floats, but that's just not always possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Frank,

Why not just find a good brass float? They are available in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Should not be hard to find the right one, or one that can be made to work with a little solder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:31 pm:

Royce, this float is round like a barrel. About 1&3/4 inches diameter and about 1&1/4 inches high with a tube through it for the needle valve. Restoration Supply Co. sells Nitrophy in 2x3 inch round which could work when turned and drilled to size. Thanks for the comments, it gives me some answers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

If you have a lathe to machine a float you also could make a wooden form and spin the two halves of your float out of brass.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration