TT has been under the shed 2 questions.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT has been under the shed 2 questions.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

This past winter I had bad headaches and such,was sick all of January and half of February. Had sinus surgery,recovered to be swamped with lawnmower repairs for neighbors and friends. Which was a good thing. I have a little cash saved up perhaps for a project.
The TT has sat since last october. I decided to see if the TT would crank after sitting all winter. Other than a bad ignition switch I had to wiggle, it cranked right up . I had been charging the battery once in a while.
My trouble is the truck is filthy. Pole sheds do keep most of the rain off something. But dust,pollen and even some green stuff on the axle.

Question 1, I need to know will it hurt anything to pressure wash it? I know not to get it close to the coil box or the timer or pedal shafts. And a oil change is in the immediate plans after washing.
It is just to filthy,the motor for sure, to even try with rag and hosepipe.
2. Has there been any positive change in the rebuild parts quality for the ignition switches? I need to do something. i have played with this 1 long enough. I am ready to replace or rebuild it or get a dash from a 747. Whatever it takes for it to run.

I am going to lay something over it once I get things cleaned back up and tolerable.
It is a Rustoleum paint job so if I do screw up the paint,boohoo,I will sand and respray it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:39 pm:

Mack, You really can't hurt it much.I say wash it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Thanks Jack.
Also I have found since my left hip has decided to give trouble, the gas cut off is NOT in a good place any more under the truck. I am going to go back thru some threads and see if I can find a picture of a fuel cut off method under the hood or something I can reach without alot of bending down.

Getting the TT in shape to drive again is 1 of 2 things I want to do. The second thing is to get the surge brake system fixed on my tandem trailer so I can haul it to the cruise in .The fluid left the master cylinder and there is rust in it. Rod goes in and out ok,so I don't think the piston or cylinder is bad. But I don't want to add fluid to it and get that rust in the system any more than it may already be.Before I can take it apart and clean it, I have got to learn if a Atwood surge brake system can be overhauled like a normal master cylinder or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:29 am:

There is a fuel shut off available from the suppliers (Snyders) that replaces the 90 degree bend by the carb. It is easy to reach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:29 am:

thanks,I will check it out this morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Mack, is your shed enclosed or just an open lean-to? If it's enclosed I would recommend getting some bed sheets to cover it when you put it away. I have a couple sets my mom was going to throw out because of some holes. I use them to cover my roadster pickup and it's amazing how much dust doesn't land on the car now. just a quick spray with the hose and she's ready for the day ahead. I've forgotten/been too lazy to put the sheets on, and boy does it ever get dirty when I don't. Lesson learned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:01 am:

I always keep a thick protective layer of dirt to protect the paint on my vehicles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:25 am:

Clean your truck ? Cruise-ins ? Wassamattayoo ???

I am with Dennis. Must be the high desert air that allows clear thinking ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Mack you can get a good 1/8" NPT valve from your local ACE hardware store for about $8. They have stainless body and Teflon inside. Been using the one on my '15 for close to 15 years with no leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:47 am:

The modern brass replacements seem to stick after a while. The handle becomes hard to turn without pliers. The next one I install will be like the one Royce shows and a lot less money! :-) Aside from looking too modern (so take off the plastic on the handle and paint it black or brass colored) it's there for a reason not necessarily looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

There is a local cruise in I have taken the TT to a few times but didn't last year at all. The brake problem on the trailer first then that #*#*# switch went out AGAIN and it sat for a while then I didn't feel like working on it.
I haul the truck because it is to slow to drive on the main hwy.
If it was just dust, i wouldn't mind,but green stuff on the axle, Naw,aint getting out in public like that.Engine is dirty,I like opening the hood at the cruise in and showing folks what the correct engine for a T looks like. Ford didn't use 350's back then! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Please don't forget to cover the holes between the center cylinders that the throttle runs through with a rag or something. I have accidentally forced water through these holes and into the engine. I had to pull off the valve cover as well as change the oil to get the water all out.
Be very careful with a pressure washer around the radiator as they damage so easily. Better to clean the radiator with a brush and some soap moving parallel with the fins.
I bet a few of the other members have had similar experiences to tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Thanks for the reminder.
I just checked the ebay and the vendor most of us cuss is the only 1 that has a rebuild kit for sale.
I was googling,and found my own 2012 thread asking about the switch the first time it went out. the advice was clean or find a another original.
And that thread reminded me there is 2 types,so i need to remind myself which kind i have.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration