Setting transmission drum rivets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Setting transmission drum rivets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:44 pm:

What is the best way to set the rivets that hold the gears onto the transmission drums? I have always pounded them in with a ball peen hammer until tight and then machine down the peened over side. I have had one come loose and come out and found it in the transmission screen.
Is this the best way or is it better to use a press?
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 12:47 am:

Tom, I have always hot riveted them and had no worries. Others will have differing opinions.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 02:23 am:

I have done them cold, so far so good. Depending on the drum I have found there are two different lengths of rivets (I was swapping the gear in a reverse drum). One is short for in service repair replacing a single rivet the other is longer for changing the drum. The short one just peens down to fill the recess and ends up more or less flat with the surface the longer one is peenned down and then machined off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:27 am:

Set them cold and then machine off the excess. You only want to do this once - better do it right.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration