TIMER INSTALL PROBLEM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TIMER INSTALL PROBLEM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

I'm replacing a "New Day Timer" with a "Anderson Timer" The problem is it won't fit.
When I try to install the Anderson rotor on the shaft, I run into a washer like fitting that has two tabs on it that the old New Day rotor slipped under (see ist photo) The new Anderson rotor body is physically thicker (see 2nd photo) and will not slip under the tabs seen in the 1st photo. The Anderson rotor is also longer than the "New Day" (see 3rd photo).
I called "Snyders" to inquire about the tabbed fitting and the guy didn't know anything about it.

The tabbed fitting screws in and out (it is screwed out in the photo.

Does anyone know if this fitting is part of the New Day timer? Can it be removed? Being the Anderson rotor is longer, I assume it would slip into the vacant spot where the tabbed fitting was, if I can get it out.

HELP!

Rod

fitting

thickness

length

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

I haven't seen anything like that on my T's or the ones I have helped repair for others. They have a nut which fits on the front of the camshaft to hold the gear in place. The nut has a sleeve which fits through the seal in the timing cover. But the front edge is smooth. No tabs on it. If that piece on your car fits down inside the timing gear cover, it might be a nut which holds the gear to the camshaft. If so you would need to remove the timing gear cover and replace the nut with the proper one before you place the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

I posted on the other area - that's a "drive nut" for a distributor !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

And - while you're in the area - R & R the bolt left of the cam stub under the timer - it can interfere with the timer contact - nut goes "down" for that bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Norman, Thanks for the response. I've searched high & low on line , looked at a thousand photos and cannot find anything that even closely resembles that part in that location. Another "T" first I suppose.

I got impatient and found a hammer. I was able to tap the rotor into place, install the pin, retainer and nut just like the "New Day" was.
Now I've got to time it, do a little praying and hope she starts and continues running.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

I'm living right!
fired right up! :-)

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:31 pm:

That is the drive nut for a Bosch face plate distributor.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration