Straight exhaust

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Straight exhaust
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

My 26 roadster pickup has sagging manifold . Is there a way to straighten it . I am new to T ownership so I depend on you guys for direction . I have new hd copper gasgets that won't line up . I was told to red rtv it but the manifold won't draw down with the rear hole so far off . Cast iron is a scary thing for me . I don't want it to twist .
Input from experience is what's needed!
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

there is a method to straighten the old manifold.A bit of searching will produce a set of pics I think.

But tight as I am on money I bought a new 1 for my truck.Just as with the gas tank. Those are 2 things you buy new for a T. I think it was 89 bucks when I bought mine.
I tried the process twice and both times it was a waste of torch gas for me as the manifold broke.
But it can be done if you are careful.

Another thing experience taught me, the red rtv, forget it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

I was wondering if new was the right way to go.
My truck is pretty rough so I like to use the rusty crusty parts to keep that farm truck feel
Thanks Mack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Basically you make a fixture say, using a piece of angle welded to a channel iron and some brackets to position the manifold. Then you clamp the manifold in place and heat the area you wish to straighten red hot and push or clamp on the brackets to move the manifold. You want to get all the manifold ports in a straight line flush against your angle iron.

I am trying to use a thousand words here in lieu of a picture which I don't have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

I believe the Tulsa Club web site has a picture or drawing of the manifold straighter. With the price of gas these days,it is prudent to buy a new manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:27 pm:

Is one place better than another to order one or are they all made by same company

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Dad showed me how to straighten them using an old block as a fixture. Worked really well. Click here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/342833.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

it will rust soon enough!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 11:41 pm:

Dallas, I am in Tiffin Ohio If you have the time I have the torch and die for straightening them,just a word of thought you break 25% trying to straighten them, go slow and some of the time you need to heat up a couple times to get it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 07:57 am:

Life is too short. I bought a new manifold from Lang's and the problem was solved. It'll rust soon enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 08:02 am:

They may be out of them by now, but Snyder's had a few "scratch 'n dent" deals on exhaust manifolds. I bought one and the only flaw it had was a grind mark on the backside in an area that would be invisible when the manifold was installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

Heavens ! A scratched or dented exhaust manifold ? I would die of embarrassment ! :-)
How could a person possibly win a cheesy plastic trophy or ribbon at a car show with THAT ???
(insert puking icon here).

Lots of 50's and 60's car guys itch and twitch, using all sorts of crazy means to try and
keep their exhaust manifolds looking like new, raw cast iron. Why ? I guess they are bored
with the car hobby and have found a new hobby of beating their head against a brick wall (?).
It is when I encounter people so fixated on the irrelevant that I think everyone needs to see
a good, solid combat tour in a place like Iraq or AFG to help them understand what concepts
like "life", "time", and "priorities" look like. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:26 am:

I've done two of them, using Kim Dobbins fixture. All that is needed is the weight of the wrench, and nothing more!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 07:01 pm:

It's cheap enough to buy a new one for these cars. Mine was $80+ or so new from langs. It fixed me up and the old one is hanging on the wall. I wouldn't sell it to anyone because it's junk. I figure most of the end up on eBay. Then someone else is stuck with junk.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 07:34 pm:

New it is. Thanks for advise . I made floor boards and bed wood this weekend out of old barn lumber . Looks like its as old as the truck. Old poplar boards with no paint and a few nail holes
Thanks again everyone

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration