Coil box wiring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Coil box wiring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Hurt on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

I believe I have the new wiring harnesses installed correctly on my 23 Touring. The harness that runs to the switch has a long blue/yellow wire that attaches to the coil position on the back of the switch. I assume the other end runs into the coil box and is attached to the bottom board. I can't figure out where the wire runs into the coil box so it can be attached. Any suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

Sounds right

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 06:37 am:

like this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Hurt on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 08:53 am:

So the wire from the copper bottom strip goes to the inside of the bottom right insulator and the blue wire from the loom goes to the outside of that insulator??
I have one unused insulator post on the bottom left. What gets wired to that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 09:11 am:

Look carefully at the drawing above. The coil box, when viewed from the "back," or "out" side, should look like that.

There are a total of NINE insulated posts sticking out of the coil box. They are arranged in two horizontal rows of four, with one 'extra' one below the two rows.

The 'rogue' post gets hot juice from the ignition switch.

The four top posts get 'ground' from the timer, each in turn, as the timer rotates.

The middle row is where the spark plugs get their juice, and where you can get knocked on your rear end if you touch them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 09:19 am:

Brian

I apologize if I confused. I'm not sure what you have if your coilbox lower porcelain is on the left. (My drawing is standing at the radiator looking at the firewall. )

Check out everything with a continuity tester with the battery disconnected. Never ever let batt voltage short to mag supply. The mag then goes dead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Here's another diagram with colors listed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:37 am:

The extra post on the passenger side is for the mag wire on the coil box with the switch on it. Normally not used for cars with the switch on the instrument panel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Jim

The early metal boxes with switch on the box, have the extra two terminals below the plug terminals. The left one (driver's) is for the magneto contact. The right one (passenger's) is for battery contact, when dry cells or a storage battery is added to power the coils.

Wood dash early T with coil box with switch, the magneto terminal going to the mag contact on the hogshead. The battery terminal on right is vacant on this magneto only T. Note the small switch on the left, wiring the magneto headlamps for an on/off at the wood dash inside.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration