I Need Some Leverage...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I Need Some Leverage...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:30 am:

I know there are left and right brake cams for a 23 Runabout but what about the levers? The brake rods come back to the levers at an angle but where the clevis attaches is not angled. What am I doing wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Do you have them backwards?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:45 am:

I think the levers are the same, left to right. I don't know if the brake rods are different from left to right, can someone more knowledgeable comment?

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:58 am:

Levers are L & R also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:29 am:

Brake Cams are L and R, 25557 (R) 2558 (L)

Brake Lever 2562 is universal, care on how you rivet it to the cam shaft.

Brake Pull Rods are L and R, 3468 (R) 3469 (L)

Left, Driver's side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 12:05 pm:

The problem is those spokes need to be painted black. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Burger:
Why do those spokes "need" to be painted? I do realize that is an opinion of many folks, I have always understood although the majority of spokes were indeed painted, the natural "finish" was an option. Maybe I'm mistaken on the facts? I have spent considerable time on my 14' touring's wheels with natural spokes and often thought it would be easier to just paint the darn things! I must admit I do like the looks of painted, but I'm stuck on natural if that's how they were from the start.

BTW, Being an avid train nut, I really like the photo of the DRG&W on your profile page! I have never been there, but it's on my list for someday!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

What Dan said, except that extra digit in #2557. The parts book also shows that the 26-27 rods are the same (two per car, same part number), while in previous years the rods are two different parts (L & R).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

David, I'm pretty sure that "natural" spokes didn't become an option until 1925. Some folks like the "natural" finish look and choose to do it on wheels that would have originally come painted from Ford.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/U-Z.htm#wheels

I saw the smiley face on Burger's post (plus I'm familiar with his unique sense of humor from many earlier posts) and took his comment as the friendly ribbing that he intended. :-) :-) :-)

If originality is your goal, paint your spokes per they encyclopedia. If you like the natural look better and are less concerned about originality, leave them natural. Either way, enjoy the hobby! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

Correction noted Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Drifting threads again!
Model T Ford wheels/spokes were all factory painted black from 1914 through about half of '25. Exactly when natural spokes from the factory actually became available is still being debated. And they continued to be unusual to the end of production.
Personally, I prefer black wheels and spokes on any 1914 or later T. That is my choice. It probably has something to do with just knowing it is "correct", and having looked at thousands of original era photographs making them just "look" right to me.
That said, if you want natural finish on your wheels/spokes? There is historic precedent for it to be era correct.
It was many years ago, and I do not have copies myself to share. But I saw copies of original ads and literature from dealers offering to have the paint stripped off and natural finish applied to the wood in the wheels. It was done. If someone wants natural finish wheels. There is your argument for them. Now I need to go out and paint some wheels for a couple of my cars.

To make the brakes work well, requires proper adjustment of all levers, cams, etc. I usually enlarge the cams for the brake shoes by shimming and brazing. What I use depends upon the amount of wear in all parts including the brake drums and shoe fit. I then grind and file the cams for best match of all parts to get the perfect angles on the levers. You want the rear lever to be almost perfectly straight up and down when the brake is applied for maximum advantage.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

Burger: Why do those spokes "need" to be painted?

========================================

My Grandfather would answer: "On account of because." :-) He often used this when
"reprimanding" us little grandkids.

Like the loud "Hey !" to get our attention, followed by a quieter advisory tone, saying:
"We never pick our nose on Tuesdays". (The day changed with whatever day it happened
to be).

We would ask Grampa "Why?" And he would reply with the standard "On account of
because".

====================================

To explain the specific joke, I was busting your balls with the absurdity of how your lever
problem could possibly be related to the painting of the spokes. I might have just as easily
asked you if you had checked your tire's air pressure. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Hagerty on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

Burger:

Yes, Thank You! I totally realized you were joking about the unpainted spokes! I need to figure out how to use those little smiley face things! I also thought about drifting off topic, it was just easier to reply where I did.
BTW, I checked the air pressure in my tires, it's still there!
OT: I will PM on the DRG&W. The one narrow gauge railroad I have visited is the East Broad Top in PA

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration