Oil change before first startup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Oil change before first startup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:30 am:

Drain from the bottom spigot and fill through the transmission hatch on top, right? I'm surprised to find no instructions online and just checking with you experts first.

Thank You in advance if you reply. Pics would also be great if I'm off base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:36 am:

I thought I read somewhere, put 3 quarts in through the the transmission housing and one through the oil breather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:37 am:

That'S how I do it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 10:38 am:

Put the first quart into the oil breather at the front of the engine, then you can pour the rest into the transmission hatch if you want to.

You want to make sure that the oil pan dipper troughs are full of oil.

On subsequent starts, once the bands have been soaked with oil, you can pour it all into the breather, it will run back and fill the rear sump in a minute or so. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:20 am:

If they are brand new bands, I soak them overnight, before installing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:42 am:

Is the oil breather on the front of my generator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:49 am:

Yes in front of the generator.

When you change the oil, remove the plug at the bottom of the transmission and drain until all oil runs out. Then put the plug back in. Fill through the breather in front of the generator. You only need to pour into the transmission, the first time you fill with oil after a rebuild or after changing band lining. Put at least one quart through the breather so that the oil dips are full. Fill until oil runs out the top petcock. Then stop filling.

To check oil level, open bottom petcock. If oil runs out, you are OK. If it does not, fill until oil runs out the top petcock. The oil level should always be between the top and bottom petcock.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

Thank You

4 quarts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

Yes, 4 quarts should be enough to put the final oil level near the top petcock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 04:32 pm:

No, Chris. Don't drain with the bottom petcock. Remove the plug on the bottom of the pan. It takes a 15/16" wrench.

The two petcocks are for checking the oil as Norm describes.

You can make (or buy) a tool to reach the petcocks without crawling under the car.

You can clamp a bit of clear tubing on the petcocks to serve as a sight gauge that will show you the oil level. Simply open both valves to see the level, then close them to avoid disaster if the tube gets knocked off. In this shot you also see the drain plug at the bottom of the pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

That clear tube is a brilliant idea! I guess they didn't have clear tubing back then or Henry himself would have done the sane thing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 11:26 pm:

First Model T startup today... And a Very funny true story...

Three Mormon missionaries were walking by and I invited them to ride along because they had watched me change the oil and plugs, etc.

After about 10 stalls we got up the hill but soon after turning around, as we were coming back down the hill the radiator cap blue Rusty rain all over their white shirts and my windshield.

Hahaha

I hope a new radiator cap solves the problem. I told him they are truly my "witnesses" that it runs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 12:06 am:

I would run it first for awhile, and then drain the oil!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, June 19, 2016 - 10:42 am:

"I'm surprised to find no instructions online."

http://www.mtfca.com/books/21manual.htm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration